Mychal Givens

weams

In both cases (Givens and Drake) we are talking about < 10 IP. I'd like to see a longer period of success before trying anything.

By the way, I saw that some 29-year old Navy grad was promoted to the majors a couple of days ago. Wouldn't he have been a teammate of Drake's? That's a heckuva pitching staff the Naval Academy had there.

The problem with Steve is that it wouldn't help any with the flexibility in the bullpen. I think they want someone else out there that they can option if the bullpen gets a little taxed.

Here's the problem with this line of thinking: what are we saving him for, exactly? He's a free agent after this season. If he's the best option, then you call him up when a long term need arises, unless he is replacing some guy who is injured and will return after a short while. So, if we were cutting bait with Garcia, for example, Johnson would be a perfectly logical choice to take his spot. He's either good enough to hold it, or he gets exposed to waivers.

In both cases (Givens and Drake) we are talking about < 10 IP. I'd like to see a longer period of success before trying anything.

By the way, I saw that some 29-year old Navy grad was promoted to the majors a couple of days ago. Wouldn't he have been a teammate of Drake's? That's a heckuva pitching staff the Naval Academy had there.

Mitch Harris of the Cardinals.

Givens sounds like his command has finally come around, but he's probably a little lower on the totem pole right now due to have more experienced pitchers ahead of him at AAA doing well. Still, I could see him at some point getting an opportunity in Baltimore this year.