Notes From the Minors 4/23

Tony-OH

Tides win

- Steve Johnson throws two shutout innings and now has a 1.00 ERA with 14Ks in 9 innings! something tells me he's healthy and ready to contribute in Baltimore once again.

Bowie wins

- Branden Kline K's six in six innings while allowing two runs.

- Mychal Givens throws two more shutout innings and lowers his ERA to 0.93 on the season.

- Garabez Rosa gets demoted back to Bowie and goes 0-for-5

Frederick wins

- Drew Dosch goes 2-for-4 with an RBI to raise his season average to .291.

- Trey Mancini goes 3-for-4 with a double

- Former Phillies 1st round pick Anthony Hewitt goes 3-for-4 with two doubles. the 25 year old is batting .333 in limited PAs

Delmarva wins

- Sabastien Vadar tosses seven shutout innings and lowers his season ERa to 0.69.

- Jomar Reyes goes 2-for-2 with a double to raise his average to .313. Reyes was hit by two pitches to complete his perfect night the hard way!

Imagine Steve isn't going to have to wait around norfolk too much longer.

Great to see Kline get back on track.

Also, this thread is the first time I've seen Murphy and Heim mentioned. What are their stories?

Did you mean not mentioned? Murphy had an RBI and Heim went hitless. The biggest news here is Heim is getting the bulk of the catching duties which makes sense because he's the better receiver, but Murphy is going to need a place to play. I'd probably try to get Murphy some time at first base when he's not catching.

Looks like SJ is back and healthy. Vader can't buy his way onto the Keys staff. He's got 26 yr olds in front of him. Reyes is a beast. Apparently our scouts are good at finding diamonds in the rough. Imagine if they had some type of money to spend. I'm not looking it up but the funny thing is that Adrian Marin probably got a bigger signing bonus than Reyes being a 2nd rd pick and all.

Nice to see Reyes off to a good start with an xbh about every 10 at-bats and nearly a 1:2 B/K ratio though he is striking out around once every four or five plate appearances. Even on the heels of Chance Sisco's strong year last year, I think Reyes has the chance to put up some very special numbers at Delmarva relative to some of the best high school bats the Os have had at Delmarva - it's not a long list.

Tony, I am really liking this format. It might be useful to post links to the box scores in case someone wants to dig deeper, but I think a couple of bullet points for each game focusing on players who are somewhat considered prospects is a great approach.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/5061/minor-league-game-summaries-423

Today was a great day for Rey Navarro. He went 2-for-4 at the plate with a home run then found out after the game, he will be heading to Baltimore to replace the injured Ryan Flaherty. He is the Hangout Minor League Player of the Night.

Tides [AAA] Won 4 to 3

Eddie Gamboa picked up the win (5 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K).

Nolan Reimold hit a two-run homer.

Baysox [AA] Won 3 to 2

Branden Kline turned in a quality start (6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K).

Glynn Davis had a 2-for-4 night.

Keys [A+] Won 7 to 5

Drew Dosch went 2-for-4 and scored two runs.

Trey Mancini went 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI.

Shorebirds [A] Won 4 to 0

Sebastian Vader tossed seven scoreless innings and struck out three.

Jomar Reyes went 2-for-2 with a double.

Alex Murphy hit a two-run single.

Looks like SJ is back and healthy. Vader can't buy his way onto the Keys staff. He's got 26 yr olds in front of him. Reyes is a beast. Apparently our scouts are good at finding diamonds in the rough. Imagine if they had some type of money to spend. I'm not looking it up but the funny thing is that Adrian Marin probably got a bigger signing bonus than Reyes being a 2nd rd pick and all.

On the note of finding diamonds in the rough, I know Reyes was signed at the same time as Carlos Diaz, another hulking 16 year old at the time. Looked him up and see he had an OK season in the DSL last year, but obviously isn't going to move as quickly as Reyes.

Has anyone heard any relatively recent reports on Diaz? Is he going to be in the GCL this season?

Did you mean not mentioned? Murphy had an RBI and Heim went hitless. The biggest news here is Heim is getting the bulk of the catching duties which makes sense because he's the better receiver, but Murphy is going to need a place to play. I'd probably try to get Murphy some time at first base when he's not catching.

Oops, meant in the previous thread. For some reason I thought this was just a continuation of the old one.

Archived