The DH is Here to Stay And Maybe There too.

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Only one position -- pitcher -- has been proven to be unable to hit and is the one position teams truly don't care if they hit.</p>— Craig Calcaterra (@craigcalcaterra) <a href="

">April 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Teams still try to get their SSs to hit. They have totally abandoned pitchers hitting as a priority, even in the NL.</p>— Craig Calcaterra (@craigcalcaterra) <a href="

Apres Wainwright, Le Deluge?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am absolutely fine with the NL keeping their rules their way. If they're okay with .087 hitters who am I to stop them? Nobody is forcing me to watch the NL, and really I see no compelling reason to watch the NL. Plus, if you think NL purists are insufferable now (and I do) imagine how they'd react to forcing a DH on them.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Shame that Waino might miss the year, but at least we'll get to see other exciting offensive performances by pitchers <a href="http://t.co/NstYePKp2Q">pic.twitter.com/NstYePKp2Q</a></p>— Ben Lindbergh (@BenLindbergh) <a href="

I am absolutely fine with the NL keeping their rules their way. If they're okay with .087 hitters who am I to stop them? Nobody is forcing me to watch the NL, and really I see no compelling reason to watch the NL. Plus, if you think NL purists are insufferable now (and I do) imagine how they'd react to forcing a DH on them.

Well, it's the players that will do it. Not me. Bunting is dumb. Not fundamental.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/keithlaw">@keithlaw</a> So far in 2015, pitchers are batting a combined 0.090 with 7 doubles, 13 walks, and 235 strikeouts in 536 ABs. Tradition is great</p>— Linton Geldart (@1Geldart) <a href="

o

Or, we could speed up the game and just let 8 guys bat.

I wonder if that would actually make the game longer, and not shorter.

The lineup would turn over more often, and the guys at the top of the order (usually the best offensive players on the team) would get more plate appearances.

I wonder if that would actually make the game longer, and not shorter.

The lineup would turn over more often, and the guys at the top of the order (usually the best offensive players on the team) would get more plate appearances.

I welcome that with open arms. There will be more scoring - but not so much that we revert to the steroid/juiced ball era - and the game will be more exciting.

It's such a joke that an NL starting pitcher can rely on striking out or getting a near-automatic out from the pitcher whenever they get into trouble near the bottom of the lineup during the first few innings of the game. It's awful baseball.

I welcome that with open arms. There will be more scoring - but not so much that we revert to the steroid/juiced ball era - and the game will be more exciting.

It's such a joke that an NL starting pitcher can rely on striking out or getting a near-automatic out from the pitcher whenever they get into trouble near the bottom of the lineup during the first few innings of the game. It's awful baseball.

And really, it is not the baseball of my youth. Many of those pitchers could hit.

And really, it is not the baseball of my youth. Many of those pitchers could hit.

When was your youth? From 1960-70 there were five pitchers with a .600+ OPS in at least 100 PAs, with a high of .662. From 1970-80 there were three.

Since WWII there are three pitchers with OPSes over .700 (again, min 100 PAs) - Micah Owings, Brandon Backe, and Don Newcombe. Backe and Owings were very recently active.

The last time pitchers were comparable to shortstops in offense was the 1880s.

I like to watch the NL. If that makes me weird so be it. O's first of course but I

like the cubs and Cards.

Just keep it the way it is. Let the AL keep the DH. The NL keep playing baseball

the way it does. IMO

When was your youth? From 1960-70 there were five pitchers with a .600+ OPS in at least 100 PAs, with a high of .662. From 1970-80 there were three.

Since WWII there are three pitchers with OPSes over .700 (again, min 100 PAs) - Micah Owings, Brandon Backe, and Don Newcombe. Backe and Owings were very recently active.

The last time pitchers were comparable to shortstops in offense was the 1880s.

Makes me think of Adam Loewen. What could have been...

I like to watch the NL. If that makes me weird so be it. O's first of course but I

like the cubs and Cards.

Just keep it the way it is. Let the AL keep the DH. The NL keep playing baseball

the way it does. IMO

I like watching the NL too. I'd like it even more if the tired exercise of watching the pitcher try to bunt/hit was eliminated.

Archived