What does batting around mean?

BohKnowsBmore

What is "batting around?"  

111 members have voted

1. 1. What is "batting around?"

• Nine batters
    • Ten or more batters

http://deadspin.com/baseballs-version-of-the-dress-what-does-batting-arou-1699097944

It turns out that batting around has no official definition and isn?t an official MLB statistic. Followers of the game tend to assume that their own interpretation is by-the-book right.

When the question was posed to New York Mets captain David Wright, he didn?t hesitate. ?Ten,? he said.

As far as Wright was concerned, nobody could disagree. To prove as much, he called over his teammate, John Mayberry Jr. Mayberry said nine, just as emphatically. Wright was stunned.

Ten batters or nine?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love this question. Around to me means that you've come back to the point where you started. Like a circle. You've gone all the way around. That would mean 10 batters so the guy who started has come back around to hit again.

Why wouldnt 9? Once 9 have batted you're right back to the exact same spot in the order? #10 would be next man up, just like the inning started.

Why wouldnt 9? Once 9 have batted you're right back to the exact same spot in the order? #10 would be next man up, just like the inning started.

If the inning ends with the 9th guy up, then you haven't batted around because you haven't come back to the original point. Just like a circle is complete when your pencil is at the exact same point as it was when you started, batting around is completed when the exact same batter who started the inning is up again.

If the inning ends with the 9th guy up, then you haven't batted around because you haven't come back to the original point. Just like a circle is complete when your pencil is at the exact same point as it was when you started, batting around is completed when the exact same batter who started the inning is up again.

But I didnt say ends with the 9th guy up. Said ALL 9 have batted.

I can see both answers correct.... Nine means you completed the circle and ten means someone batted twice...

And so 11, or 12, or 13 could be correct also. The point is 9 have batted and that completes it. Any more is just extra.

Let's say the 9th guy comes up and strikes out to end the inning. All 9 would have batted. But they would not have batted around since the guy who started the inning did not come back up to the plate.

But everybody in the order did bat so they went around, all 9. Number 10 just means they already batted around so he is up again.

Archived