Zach Davies is pitching his butt off

wildcard

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously I'm biased a bit because I've been on Davies since I saw him pitch in Frederick a few years ago. The 22-year old has allowed just three earned runs on 11 hits and seven walks while striking out 21 in 21 2/3 innings so far in AAA. The young man may only have an average fastball, perhaps even a step below average velocity wise, but he can mix in four pitches for strikes. He needs to get himself about 150 innings this year and he'll be ready to take one of those starting rotations spots that will be open in Baltimore in 2016.

He needs to get himself about 150 innings this year and he'll be ready to take one of those starting rotations spots that will be open in Baltimore in 2016.

It'll be interesting to see how they approach next year. Norris and Chen are gone, but both Gausman and Bundy seem to be the next two up. Davies should be ahead of Bundy in terms of performance, but Bundy will be out of options, so he's headed to Baltimore. Of course depending on how the rest of this year goes, they may just decide he's a reliever and stick him in the pen. Most likely, though, I think Davies starts in Norfolk and is the first in line when a pitcher inevitably goes down. Curious how Wilson factors in as well, though he may be destined to be a swing man/long reliever.

Then of course in 2017 Harvey should be in the mix. Good problem to have.

Regardless, great job Davies.

I would be very surprised if both Wilson and Davies don't get starts in Baltimore at some point this season. Wilson probably the first one up and then Davies.

Wilson I see, but not so sure about Davies. They'll want to keep him in the groove and Gausman is obviously next in line. We'd have to be hit pretty hard by injuries all at once to get to Davies.

Wilson I see, but not so sure about Davies. They'll want to keep him in the groove and Gausman is obviously next in line. We'd have to be hit pretty hard by injuries all at once to get to Davies.

Most teams have to use more than six or seven starters at different points to get through a season due to injuries, underperformance, double headers, etc. Gausman is on deck with Wilson in the hole. Then I think it's Davies. An argument can be made for Wright but I think his future is in the bullpen and this season.

The great thing is we can afford to be patient with Davies and give him a full year of AAA rather than inserting him into the rotation prematurely. I'm high on Davies too but want him fully polished up before he sees Baltimore.

The great thing is we can afford to be patient with Davies and give him a full year of AAA rather than inserting him into the rotation prematurely. I'm high on Davies too but want him fully polished up before he sees Baltimore.

This. And for the first time in forever we could end up with a logjam at AAA

I've really liked following this guy through the system. High K's at every level. But is he Josh Towers 2.0 or does he have a higher ceiling. Keep in mind Towers did have a 3.6 WAR season in his career with a fastball that topped out at 88. So is a better Towers a fair comparison?

I've really liked following this guy through the system. High K's at every level. But is he Josh Towers 2.0 or does he have a higher ceiling. Keep in mind Towers did have a 3.6 WAR season in his career with a fastball that topped out at 88. So is a better Towers a fair comparison?

He missed more bats than Towers did and has much better secondary stuff. I think his ceiling is much higher than Towers even though they have some similarities when it comes to build and lack of blazing fastball.

He missed more bats than Towers did and has much better secondary stuff. I think his ceiling is much higher than Towers even though they have some similarities when it comes to build and lack of blazing fastball.

Good to hear. So 5th starter or 6/7th inning guy. Considering how much those types get paid in FA, I'll take 6 team controlled years out of Davies.

Archived