T.J McFarland

Diehard_O's_Fan

I absolutely love this guy. He is the Orioles best rule 5 guy if you ask me. He has no reason to be pitching in Norfolk. The Orioles should have Gausman starting in Norfolk rather than McFarland. T.J McFarland knows how to pitch and he makes the bullpen better. Please don't send T.J back down. He should be with the Orioles the rest of the year. He saved the bullpen today with a huge clutch performance. Welcome back T.J!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YES. THIS. TJ Rocks !!! He's a true artist out there.

A true old school pitcher. Reminds me of guys like Kenny Holtzman, Doyle Alexander and Scott McGregor.

He does remind me a bit of McGregor. He had it all working except when he ran Adam into the wall and that should have been fan interference. Nice breaking stuff and that sinking FB.

The only reason T.J was in Norfolk and not with the Orioles is because he had minor league options. You know Buck has alot of faith in T.J when he put him in today's game. Buck could have used Jason Garcia today to eat up some innings.

It wasn't an "innings eating" situation in the general sense of the term. Buck brought T.J. in because he trusted he could hold the Yankees and give the Orioles a chance to come back. He did his job; the Orioles hitters didn't. At this point, Buck wouldn't bring Garcia into a tight game unless there were no other options.

I absolutely love this guy. He is the Orioles best rule 5 guy if you ask me. He has no reason to be pitching in Norfolk. The Orioles should have Gausman starting in Norfolk rather than McFarland. T.J McFarland knows how to pitch and he makes the bullpen better. Please don't send T.J back down. He should be with the Orioles the rest of the year. He saved the bullpen today with a huge clutch performance. Welcome back T.J!

and this?

He does remind me a bit of McGregor. He had it all working except when he ran Adam into the wall and that should have been fan interference. Nice breaking stuff and that sinking FB.

His slider was pretty bad his first year. It was better and more consistent last year. He's a master with that 2 seam fastball (both RHB's and LHB's). He's nothing special but I just like watching him work, especially when he's on his game.

TJ and Flaherty were both excellent Rule 5 pickups. Neither is a star, but they are contributors. I wouldn't go so far as to compare TJ to McGregor, though. He's more like Troy Patton 2011-13. Nothing wrong with that.

TJ and Flaherty were both excellent Rule 5 pickups. Neither is a star, but they are contributors. I wouldn't go so far as to compare TJ to McGregor, though. He's more like Troy Patton 2011-13. Nothing wrong with that.

Patton '11-'13 was better by a healthy margin, especially '11-'12 where he was frankly one of the better relievers in the AL (2.63 ERA, 162 ERA+, 1.016 WHIP, 7.4 H/9, 1.8 BB/9).

We're overblowing his importance based on one good outing. T.J. is a good Rule 5 pick up, but he's "just a guy". He is a useful long reliever. Gives up a lot of base hits though.

Patton '11-'13 was better by a healthy margin, especially '11-'12 where he was frankly one of the better relievers in the AL (2.63 ERA, 162 ERA+, 1.016 WHIP, 7.4 H/9, 1.8 BB/9).

We're overblowing his importance based on one good outing. T.J. is a good Rule 5 pick up, but he's "just a guy". He is a useful long reliever. Gives up a lot of base hits though.

TJ was better in 2014 than in 2013. He made the kind of progress you'd like to see, and cut down on homers and walks. I agree we can't get overly excited about one good appearance, but I like him because he can give you 3 IP or come in for a one batter appearance and be credible in either situation.

TJ looked great last night. Kind of a poor man's Chen. His velocity was around 92 which seems a notch higher than I remember him. Looked confident. Controlled the zone. Glad to have him back.

Interesting to see how he fits with the team moving forward. TJ really matured last year from a mop up guy to a guy who could be trusted in a close game in the middle innings. Unfortunately for TJ, Garcia has pitched OK lately. Looking ahead to next year, he could take some of the innings that Tommy is getting, or maybe enter the rotation. For now, it is probably TJ or Garcia, and the organization is going to go with Garcia to try to keep both long term.

TJ was outstanding yesterday. Gave us the chance to win after a bad start. He really stopped the bleeding. I would like to keep him in the pen. It may be that Gausman goes to do some starting work at Norfolk, or it may be that the Orioles really are not going to be able to afford to carry Garcia the whole year.

Great story by the YES announcer about TJ yesterday. Apparently he had to go straight to the park, nothing but his spikes and glove. Gets to the park and the phone rings before he even sits down. Warms up and throws three shutdown innings.

Archived