Is Jomar Reyes our best hitting prospect?

sportsfan8703

It's early in the year but he's been really solid at Delmarva for an 18 year old or anybody for that matter. The only competition would be Sisco and Walker. He looks like he's on a similar path to the bigs as Machado and Schoop. Similar numbers AVG and OBP at the same level, with the same number PA's, as Machado. There's a lot to like about him. Growing frame. Power potential. Not too many K's. Hopefully it won't matter too much if he has to switch to 1st.

Don't overlook Alex Murphy. He is a slugging catcher.

The scouts I have talked with predict Jomar Reyes as very likely to be a major leaguer based on what they have seen so far. They really like him. I have seen him continue to make improvements. Tonight he powered three consecutive line drives to RC just under the scoreboard for 2 doubles and a triple. One of the doubles could have also been a triple. There is no doubt he will develop HR power as he matures. However, I am not yet pleased with his (in)ability to range left or right as a third baseman. He is not a young Manny Machado. Unless Bobby Dickerson can work more miracles, Jomar will have to move to 1B. He will be fun to watch as he "grows up."

Jomar has enough speed to play corner OF too. He just doesn't have quick reaction speed to move laterally to get grounders. Also, his uniform is nearly always clean. He reminds me a little of Billy Rowell in that respect ... but only in that respect. Jomar has lots of hustle and can run the bases. However, at this time, he has problems getting down and dirty to the sides. It is easier to move him to 1B, OF, DH than to get him lower to the ground. If his hitting continues to progress as it has in the past two years, he is going to be a real good one.

Reyes is looking like our best 18 year old bats at DelMarva since Machado and there are not many comparable HS bats to Machado for a long while before then.

It would not surprise me if Reyes put up better OPS at Delmarva by the end of the year than what Machado accomplished in his short stint before his promotion to Frederick, but Machado had slightly better K rates and xbh rates with a much better walk rate than Reyes. I don't think Reyes will be promoted to Frederick this year unless he starts mashing xbhs or significantly improves his BB rate.

Reyes is looking like our best 18 year old bats at DelMarva since Machado and there are not many comparable HS bats to Machado for a long while before then.

It would not surprise me if Reyes put up better OPS at Delmarva by the end of the year than what Machado accomplished in his short stint before his promotion to Frederick, but Machado had slightly better K rates and xbh rates with a much better walk rate than Reyes. I don't think Reyes will be promoted to Frederick this year unless he starts mashing xbhs or significantly improves his BB rate.

I see no good reason to rush him.

I see no good reason to rush him.

I don't think Reyes will be promoted (already posted), but I would only assume that if Reyes were promoted this season that it would have been determined by our front office that Reyes deserved that promotion, had graduated from Delmarva, was ready for Frederick, and was not being "rushed".

First full professional season at 18. You gotta let him play the full season at Delmarva and hopefully put up fat numbers. Now if he's dominating in Frederick next year I could see him being promoted to Bowie in the second half.

If we are talking hitting, strictly, what does Sisco's competency at catcher have to do with it? I would give Reyes the edge based on being a year younger at the same level, having more power potential, and just being a more imposing physical specimen, although Sisco isn't a weakling by any means.

Yeah, I'm no expert, but I would rate old man Sisco just about even with Reyes as a hitting prospect. I don't know how much playing catcher (with wear and tear and the time needed to learn the position) diminishes hitting stats.

If his production remains as it has so far this season, I am pretty confident he sees Fredrick this year. But that's my opinion.

I'm not so sure. The O's kept Sisco in Delmarva all last year, and he posted an .854 OPS and led the league in batting. Of course, Sisco was a catcher so they may have wanted him develop defensively at a lower level even though he was ready for promotion offensively. That may be less important for Reyes, even though Doc says he needs work at 3B.

I'm not so sure. The O's kept Sisco in Delmarva all last year, and he posted an .854 OPS and led the league in batting. Of course, Sisco was a catcher so they may have wanted him develop defensively at a lower level even though he was ready for promotion offensively. That may be less important for Reyes, even though Doc says he needs work at 3B.

I agree it could be the catcher factor as to why Sisco didn't get promoted. Also keep in mind Sisco hit with like no power last year. Isolated slugging of .108. Jomar is at .154.

Archived