How can I write a letter to Jim Palmer?

Barnaby Graves

Miguel Gonzalez has been an excellent pitcher for us. His path to the majors is remarkable and it's incredible that his major league debut was as a 28-year-old rookie, with us, in 2012. A relief appearance he pitched very well in.

I love Palmer's analysis of baseball in general but I think he has some great insight when he talks about pitchers. How they think, how they cause their own successes and failures. He is very perceptive of every aspect of the game as a pitcher, both physically and psychologically. He also has an astounding memory.

I would like his in-depth take on why Miguel Gonzalez is such a good, steady pitcher. How he's developed since he debuted in 2012. Maybe some thoughts on why he is so underrated. I always get snippets of his opinion during a game but I'd like to hear the longform on what makes Gonzo so steady and effective.

He threw some spectacular pitches late in the game against Toronto on May 13th. His slider was brutal in the 8th inning, really incredible. Threw beautiful change-ups. All I could think was, what a gutsy, professional performance. Really beautiful pitching. He looked like El Matador out on the mound.

Would Palmer post on the internet? Maybe he'll charge? :) Do you ever send any Orioles some fan mail? I've never done that myself but I'd consider it in this case.

Maybe this should be in a Gonzalez thread, so be it. I want to see if Roy will see this and text his buddy a question. I can dream :pray:

Give me any any all questions and I'll have Jim text his answers and that should take care of that.Ill be happy to post the answers.

Roy that is really generous of you and I appreciate it.

Gonzalez' K rate is up this year over a batter per inning. Does Jim feel there is any change in Gonzalez' approach or his stuff that is getting these results? I think he has done an exceptional job of locating the slider.

Which Oriole he thinks shows the best presence on the mound, between body language, confidence, calm under pressure, grit, willingness to make a gutsy pitch in a dangerous count? I feel this is Gonzalez all the way. Norris is very tough but is looser with his emotions.

Gonzalez' velocity is declining slowly and steadily as he ages, as you would expect. Does Jim think he has the kind of stuff and approach to age well? He will be under team control well into his 30's.

That's all, I don't want to overwhelm you and Jim! Thanks to the both of you very much for any answers!!!

Give me any any all questions and I'll have Jim text his answers and that should take care of that.Ill be happy to post the answers.

You the man Roy!

To the OP, you can also "friend" him on Facebook. I follow him and he's quite good and interacts with the fans.

Barnaby would you like the responses "private" or in a public post for all to see. Jim thanked you for the questions and gave me detailed answers.Please let me know on my personal IM on OH.

This is so cool Roy, thank you. I'll IM you, please post these publicly.

Miguel Gonzalez has been an excellent pitcher for us. His path to the majors is remarkable and it's incredible that his major league debut was as a 28-year-old rookie, with us, in 2012. A relief appearance he pitched very well in.

I love Palmer's analysis of baseball in general but I think he has some great insight when he talks about pitchers. How they think, how they cause their own successes and failures. He is very perceptive of every aspect of the game as a pitcher, both physically and psychologically. He also has an astounding memory.

I would like his in-depth take on why Miguel Gonzalez is such a good, steady pitcher. How he's developed since he debuted in 2012. Maybe some thoughts on why he is so underrated. I always get snippets of his opinion during a game but I'd like to hear the longform on what makes Gonzo so steady and effective.

He threw some spectacular pitches late in the game against Toronto on May 13th. His slider was brutal in the 8th inning, really incredible. Threw beautiful change-ups. All I could think was, what a gutsy, professional performance. Really beautiful pitching. He looked like El Matador out on the mound.

Would Palmer post on the internet? Maybe he'll charge? :) Do you ever send any Orioles some fan mail? I've never done that myself but I'd consider it in this case.

Maybe this should be in a Gonzalez thread, so be it. I want to see if Roy will see this and text his buddy a question. I can dream :pray:

What you could do is address it Jim Palmer c/o Baltimore

Orioles and their address.

That's what I've done in the past. He may not answer it but be sure to send an envelope return address and a stamp.

ok heres his reaction:

"I don't see a major change in Miguel this year, though his windup is much more consistent.The thing is, he IS using his curveball more and he has a vastly underrated curveball.He can get batters out with 4 pitches, and his splitter when its working is terrific. I believe he has the best repertoire of any of our starters.As far as mental toughness, the truth is Chen and Tillman don't fold easily and Miguel is a real battler too.You look at Miguel and he doesn't excite you with the radar gun, but he's just a surgeon when he is on and he's been on this year.As far as aging; Miguel is sturdy and strong.He knows what it takes to get to the big leagues, what it takes to stay and what it takes to adjust when the hitters adjust to him.Also, Miguel listens to ideas too. Not all veterans do.He's a total pro. I just love watching him pitch."

That's a pretty big statement to say Miguel has the best repetoire but I guess it's true. And I didn't even know Miguel threw a curveball. I think I always assumed a pitch was a slider or a splitter.

That's what I think Miguel's biggest advantage is, he has a great attitude. He's in good shape but he'll be reaching free agency at an awkward time and I wonder how long he'll keep up the steady performance. Probably depends how long he has a good defense behind him. It's nice that he's increased the K's at a time when the defense has been uncharacteristically shaky. He's had a dip in his FIP (lol) but has a nearly identical ERA from last year.

Archived