Challenges

gmelson26

...Or the lack thereof.

I figured we could discuss them throughout the year, but at the moment the obvious one is the Snider slide at home in the 6th.

I cannot figure out why Buck doesn't use his challenges more often. I've had this feeling for quite a while now. Plays that are late in the game and meaningful and we do not challenge.

The announcers sort of verified my eye test on this one when they said Buck uses challenges among the least in baseball.

What were we saving our precious challenge for in the 6th inning in a 0-0 game? Nothing.. nothing to lose there by challenging it. If it's overturned you literally win the game there.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Or the lack thereof.

I figured we could discuss them throughout the year, but at the moment the obvious one is the Snider slide at home in the 6th.

I cannot figure out why Buck doesn't use his challenges more often. I've had this feeling for quite a while now. Plays that are late in the game and meaningful and we do not challenge.

The announcers sort of verified my eye test on this one when they said Buck uses challenges among the least in baseball.

What were we saving our precious challenge for in the 6th inning in a 0-0 game? Nothing.. nothing to lose there by challenging it. If it's overturned you literally win the game there.

Would have lost It. Nothing conclusive there.

I definitely think the Snider play merited a challenge, even if it wouldn't have been totally conclusive.

But overall I haven't really seen many plays this season that were egregiously wrong against the Orioles and went unchallenged. What specific plays are you referring to when you say "plays that are late in the game and meaningful"? I can't remember any.

Would have lost It. Nothing conclusive there.

Might be right here, might be wrong. There have been calls this year that I swear wouldn't get overturned and they have been.

You lose every challenge you don't use.

We use them about once every 5th game. In a 0-0 game with a scoring play at the plate... what other scenario are we saving our precious challenge for (which can be used in the next inning only). I dunno.. what's the Maryland lotto slogan, "You gotta play to win?"

Not the point. TV replay umps can miss calls too. On close calls, I have seen plenty overturned that I didn't think would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

I've seen closer plays get overturned. That late in the game, you aren't going to have your challenge that much longer. The risk is you lose it, the reward is you have it for one more inning, just in case another play like that happens to occur in that inning? You have to use it.

Not the point. TV replay umps can miss calls too. On close calls, I have seen plenty overturned that I didn't think would be.

Really I haven't. When you look at it 4-5 times and can't tell it's almost certaonly not going to be overturned. It's not like we don't have an internal process for doing this and are pretry good at it. No way that gets overturned imo. Saving it for even 1 more inning was a better choice than flushing it. Jmo.

I definitely think the Snider play merited a challenge, even if it wouldn't have been totally conclusive.

But overall I haven't really seen many plays this season that were egregiously wrong against the Orioles and went unchallenged. What specific plays are you referring to when you say "plays that are late in the game and meaningful"? I can't remember any.

Honestly, I cannot come up with specifics. In part, that's why I made this thread, as a forum for talking about them as the situation arises.

Really I haven't. When you look at it 4-5 times and can't tell it's almost certaonly not going to be overturned. It's not like we don't have an internal process for doing this aND are pretry good at it. No way that gets overturned imo. Saving it for even 1 more inning was a better choice than flushing it. Jmo.

Several of us saw him as safe, others didn't. Only the boys in NY count and, who knows, maybe they were drunker than usual. Lol.

Honestly, I cannot come up with specifics. In part, that's why I made this thread, as a forum for talking about them as the situation arises.

But you said you've had this feeling for quite a while now. Why? If there haven't been any plays that needed to be challenged (until tonight), then what's wrong with not challenging?

Several of us saw him as safe, others didn't. Only the boys in NY count and, who knows, maybe they were drunker than usual. Lol.

I don't see how anybody could have seen at as safe. Close, yeah.

But you said you've had this feeling for quite a while now. Why? If there haven't been any plays that needed to be challenged (until tonight), then what's wrong with not challenging?

I can recall thinking in previous games this year, "Man that was close. I think he was safe (or out). Why not use the challenge here. It might save us a run." etc. Then the moment passes and I think, "Geez, what is Buck saving it for?"

Just various times throughout the year. Nothing quite as strong a feeling as this game, but enough times that I have the concept in my head that Buck is way to conservative with our challenges for my liking.

Archived