I don't understand how Capps' hop is legal

Frobby

If that move is legal, all I can say is, it shouldn't be. Seems to me it shortens the distance to home plate by 1-2 feet and gives the pitcher an unfair advantage.

I seem to recall that Brandon Erbe did something similar in his early years in the minors, but eventually changed it.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess as long as he starts his motion on the rubber. Crazy seeing that. I always thought you had to be on the rubber starting your throwing motion.

On a side note the guys arms were slick as can be and he kept going to his hat and Buck says nothing.

That was total BS. I hope we protest. Not that it will help.

So more about the message than the game result. Of course I'm sure we'll get hammered by the national press for complaining rather than just beating the "hopeless" Marlins.

According to the FOX announcers tonite, he has been working on his delivery for the past month in the minors to make it a "legal" delivery. MLB advised him he needed to "drag" his back foot in the dirt a little more in order to make his delivery "legal". I know--I don't get it either. Just relating the story I heard on tonight's telecast. :confused:

Honestly that delivery looks so difficult that I can't bring myself to hate on anyone capable of pulling it off.

Hopping forward and releasing the ball essentially in mid-air while still hitting 99mph and painting the strikezone? :eektf:

If nothing else, I don't see how that can't be a balk with a runner on base. He's still holding the ball and his foot has long left the rubber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what I was thinking. The moment someone gets on base it's a balk.. who knows.

This is what I was thinking. The moment someone gets on base it's a balk.. who knows.
It's not a balk, once he has started his delivery toward the plate he continues. If he interrupted it, it would be a balk. A runner trying to steal would be on his way before the hop.

Archived