Foreign substances

malkusm

Apologies if I missed the thread on this but I didn't see one and it warrants its own thread. Also, apologies if anything below is not factual, as it's from my memory...

I recall watching the game last season where Michael Pineda was suspended and thinking, "Wow, it's incredibly obvious that you have something on your arm." Sure enough, the Red Sox called him out.

I recall that the very next series that the Red Sox played was against the Orioles. Clay Buchholz was pitching and appeared to have a VERY shiny/sweaty forearm to the point that the broadcasters were commenting on it. Yet Buck didn't call it out - and in the press, actually defended the right of pitchers to use substances on the mound.

Now, I don't think Buck's stance is that far from the typical manager's stance. If it's over the line, obvious, and the guy's pitches are moving 5 feet, then it's understood that you can say something. None of this seemed to apply to Brian Matusz tonight.

I'm curious if Buck said anything about this in the postgame (I don't live in the area), and whether or not Dan Jennings, being a new/uninitiated "manager", crossed a line here in calling this out when it wasn't egregious or blatant.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Showalter: "You reflect on it. You're usually emotional after a game like that. You kind of take it in. Make sure you don't say something you'll regret. But we all have personal feelings on everything, so I'm gonna make sure I get the whole story."

The "whole story" is that your pitcher got caught cheating and wound up getting tossed for making it so obvious. He needs to learn how to cheat better.

I'm usually a good lip reader but the only bit I could pick out from when Buck was on the field after the ejection was "I understand the rule..."

I may watch it again to see if anything stands out. I think Buck's probably at least a little upset about the whole thing.

Edit - pic can't be linked.

Didn't look obvious at all to me.

URL then please.

To my memory all prior violations have been when the pitcher was being very obvious. This new "manager" appears interested in taking things to a new level which will be bad for everyone involved.

You know, for me, this sort of begs the question:

If a very large percentage of pitchers use a grip-purposed (not movement-purposed) foreign substance on their arm or cap, and the vast majority of players & managers like it that way (see Buck's comments on his preference for opposing pitchers to have a good grip on the ball), why doesn't MLB approve something for this purpose and be done with it? It doesn't have to be any different than using a Rosen bag.

Outlawing this and suspending pitchers for it is just silly when it seems so widely accepted of a practice.

You know, for me, this sort of begs the question:

If a very large percentage of pitchers use a grip-purposed (not movement-purposed) foreign substance on their arm or cap, and the vast majority of players & managers like it that way (see Buck's comments on his preference for opposing pitchers to have a good grip on the ball), why doesn't MLB approve something for this purpose and be done with it? It doesn't have to be any different than using a Rosen bag.

Outlawing this and suspending pitchers for it is just silly when it seems so widely accepted of a practice.

Baseball is generally slow to change.

I agree either make something legal or inspect every pitcher that takes the mound. Preferably the former since it seems like the opposing hitters don't mind.

The blatant part was how Matusz kept touching is pitching hand to his forearm and the way his was doing it. It was blatant.

I see a LOT of pitchers go a particular spot between every pitch.

This does not appear to follow the precedent set by prior infractions. Which is the right of the Marlins "Manager" I guess since Matusz was guilty.

I just don't think lowering the bar on probable cause is going to end up helping the game.

The blatant part was how Matusz kept touching is pitching hand to his forearm and the way his was doing it. It was blatant.

Not really.. O'day does the rub his wrist area again and again then the ball.. Miggy puts his fingers to the same spot on his brim of his hat. Then you got the Bucholz who is obvious as well. Every pitcher has "ritual" they do before they pitch. Matusz is touching his forearm. 99.99% nobody will say anything over what Matusz did. Will Smith was obviously showing his aid so he got called out.. What Dan Jennings did shows how he is in way over his head. Also shows he hasn't managed a day in his life past highschool. Marlins are gonna regret being that stupid and appointing him.

Not really.. O'day does the rub his wrist area again and again then the ball.. Miggy puts his fingers to the same spot on his brim of his hat. Then you got the Bucholz who is obvious as well. Every pitcher has "ritual" they do before they pitch. Matusz is touching his forearm. 99.99% nobody will say anything over what Matusz did. Will Smith was obviously showing his aid so he got called out.. What Dan Jennings did shows how he is in way over his head. Also shows he hasn't managed a day in his life past highschool. Marlins are gonna regret being that stupid and appointing him.

For it being "blatant" how many times has Matusz going to his forearm been mentioned in game threads?

Archived