2015 2nd (68) - Jonathan Hughes - RHP - HS (GA)

His "advisor" may think that he will get a bigger bonus in 3 years, so his "advisor" most definitely could have advised him not to sign. Good agents are those that have the best long term interests of their client in mind and are not in it for the quick buck. That is how they retain clients and gain more.

Eh, advisors that are actual "advisors" (i.e. reputable agents) generally do a good job. It's when the parents and family friends step in that bad advice tends to be handed out. Unless you are one of the top handful of advisors in the game, you know there's every chance that the kid could switch to Close or Boras or whomever if he actually does blossom into a legit 1st rounder, so it's not necessarily in YOUR interest for him to go to school.

Here is what happened so that all the speculation can end: Baltimore thought extremely highly of Hughes. They were planning on signing him for around slot (give or take about 75k). He had all intentions of signing....and then the physical. The Orioles staff (doctor/trainers/management) saw something with Hughes arm that scared them enough to feel that $900k was too much of an investment to make in him. The Orioles came back and offered around 400-500k, but Hughes felt that it was not enough. The two sides could not reach an agreement. Hughes feels that he will be able to get a higher bonus in 3 years.

If this had been my son or brother, I would've advised him to take the deal as the Orioles would have paid for any possible surgeries, rehab, etc. The young man and his family decided attending GT was his best option.

• Upvote 2

Here is what happened so that all the speculation can end: Baltimore thought extremely highly of Hughes. They were planning on signing him for around slot (give or take about 75k). He had all intentions of signing....and then the physical. The Orioles staff (doctor/trainers/management) saw something with Hughes arm that scared them enough to feel that $900k was too much of an investment to make in him. The Orioles came back and offered around 400-500k, but Hughes felt that it was not enough. The two sides could not reach an agreement. Hughes feels that he will be able to get a higher bonus in 3 years.

If this had been my son or brother, I would've advised him to take the deal as the Orioles would have paid for any possible surgeries, rehab, etc. The young man and his family decided attending GT was his best option.

Thanks for the scoop.

The Orioles actually seem to have a decent track record with this, so hopefully their suspicions for this young man are incorrect. I agree that I would want to be on a pro team if I get injured, but on the flip side the Orioles lack of success with developing pitchers is likely a concern as well.

If true both sides did a nice job keeping a lid on this.

Yeah, kudos to the Orioles for not publicly leaking anything about his physical.

The bottom line is there needs to be some sort of system for pre-draft physicals, especially for players expected to be taken in the first several rounds. This affected many other teams and players, there is no reason for teams not to be able to do their due diligence before using a top-100 pick.

Yeah, kudos to the Orioles for not publicly leaking anything about his physical.

The bottom line is there needs to be some sort of system for pre-draft physicals, especially for players expected to be taken in the first several rounds. This affected many other teams and players, there is no reason for teams not to be able to do their due diligence before using a top-100 pick.

Great idea, and really surprising MLB doesn't already do this. The NFL does it at their combine; but it would be a little harder for MLB because of the timing of the MLB draft. Unfortunately, the MLB is not exactly a proactive organization.

Thank you for the insight. Am I the only one wondering why they felt comfortable giving 900k to Coffey but pass on this chance? I know, I know, different regime.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the insight. Am I the only one wondering why they felt comfortable giving 900k to Coffey but pass on this chance? I know, I know, different regime.

If I had to guess I would say because Coffey was left handed and had a much higher ceiling.

Coffey wouldn't have netted them a comp pick, and also you'd like to think they've learned from their mistakes.

• Upvote 1

Assuming the story is accurate, I wonder why we tried to sign Hughes if we knew there was an issue - unless we were hoping to save $ here and sign someone else.

Why sign a top 50 talent who turns out to be an injury risk for half price when we have the reset option to choose a talent with a similar pick next year?

Assuming the story is accurate, I wonder why we tried to sign Hughes if we knew there was an issue - unless we were hoping to save $ here and sign someone else.

Why sign a top 50 talent who turns out to be an injury risk for half price when we have the reset option to choose a talent with a similar pick next year?

I know with Aiken the Astros had to offer 40 percent of the slot value even after his physical blew up or they wouldn't get the compensation pick the next year. I imagine the same rules apply for a second round pick and 40 percent of slot must be offered to get the pick next year.

• 7 months later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Freshman Jonathan Hughes got another W to continue his amazing start (3-0, 0.50 ERA) for undefeated Georgia Tech! <a href="https://t.co/Xe59KuL7PF">pic.twitter.com/Xe59KuL7PF</a></p>— NCAA Baseball (@NCAACWS) <a href="

">March 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>