2015 2nd (68) - Jonathan Hughes - RHP - HS (GA)

• 2 weeks later...
What would that pick be...and can we use any of that extra money on other guys?

The money would be lost. That is part of the problem the Astros had last year. The underslot deal they had with Aiken fell through then they didn't have the money they promised another draftee.

The replacement pick would be in the second round.

The money would be lost. That is part of the problem the Astros had last year. The underslot deal they had with Aiken fell through then they didn't have the money they promised another draftee.

The replacement pick would be in the second round.

Got it. So if they DO sign him for, let's say, 500k, they could use the remaining money from that to sign another pick.

My theory is that the O's have Hughes signed but don't want to make it official. The reason? They are negotiating with at least one of the other picks and don't want the player or his agent to know how much money they have to work with.

If true, it would only be the most delicious hypocrisy to hear the Orioles and folks at the OH continue to mention the importance of getting a kid signed and getting the baseball career/training started as soon as possible, yet it may be the case regarding Hughes that the Os have purposely delayed his career/training to ....... save $.

If true, it would only be the most delicious hypocrisy to hear the Orioles and folks at the OH continue to mention the importance of getting a kid signed and getting the baseball career/training started as soon as possible, yet it may be the case regarding Hughes that the Os have purposely delayed his career/training to ....... save $.

If the saved money is used to sign another pick then I will get over it.

If the saved money is used to sign another pick then I will get over it.

Of course you will, so will Hughes. Just remember the next time someone says a kid shouldn't hold out for extra $ because he is getting behind in his development because he's not signing.

Of course you will, so will Hughes. Just remember the next time someone says a kid shouldn't hold out for extra $ because he is getting behind in his development because he's not signing.

I would say that it would depend on the situation.

Of course with the signing deadline moved up it isn't as much an issue as it was in the past.