Draft Grades: Orioles Score A- What Say You?

I wanted to share, I know these are usually silly but fun to look at anyways.

I am not a big fan of our #1 pick but I also know nothing about scouting:) There are some very smart people on here so I trust them more. I still think we should have Stotle be our Scouting Director:)

I guess my criticism is there seemed to be a lot of reaching, but understand the overslot thing in later rounds that you need money for...

My particularly issue with our #1 pick is his arm. I have seen some video and wow, that is one big noodle arm. No way Buck is fine with him playing defense in the OF, but that is a long path we have yet to cross...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2491635-mlb-draft-2015-results-grades-and-top-steals-for-rounds-1-3

I wanted to share, I know these are usually silly but fun to look at anyways.

I am not a big fan of our #1 pick but I also know nothing about scouting:) There are some very smart people on here so I trust them more. I still think we should have Stotle be our Scouting Director:)

I guess my criticism is there seemed to be a lot of reaching, but understand the overslot thing in later rounds that you need money for...

My particularly issue with our #1 pick is his arm. I have seen some video and wow, that is one big noodle arm. No way Buck is fine with him playing defense in the OF, but that is a long path we have yet to cross...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2491635-mlb-draft-2015-results-grades-and-top-steals-for-rounds-1-3

My first action would be to ban any reference to that site for draft-related items. I'm sure the author is a nice guy, but a 40-second ski of his grades made it clear he doesn't have even a moderate level of expertise in the area. Delete the link and call the thread "Grades are silly but fun -- so how do YOU grade the O's draft!"

Next, enjoy convo. There are posters on here that will give a much better analysis than that author is providing.

As far as the draft class goes, I am not a big Stewart guy; liked Mountcastle much more as a 3rd or 4th round flier (like Orimoloye). I thought it was a very interesting Day 2 with some upside, but generally temper my excitement with lower-round high schoolers. I would have liked having that 73rd overall pick as a tool to get a little more aggressive/creative, but overall I thought Baltimore did a good job bringing in some upside. If they get a major leaguer out of one of Mountcastle/McKenna/Heinrich/Curran that should be considered a developmental success, considering the players. Add Stewart as a likely major leaguer and you should get something out of the class. Cleavinger will be an interesting case study for the dev staff -- big stuff if you can get him to harness it some and could move quickly.

I really question how anyone grades a draft. No two front offices have the same opinions about players, nor do any two analysts, so whatever grades you give are just you either having an opinion that is either close to the team's or very different from the team's.

All I can say this year is that I think the O's had a good overall philosophy. I liked that they went after a good college bat first, and that in general they went for a number of upside bats as a priority. But only time will tell whether they chose the right guys within that philosophy.

My first action would be to ban any reference to that site for draft-related items. I'm sure the author is a nice guy, but a 40-second ski of his grades made it clear he doesn't have even a moderate level of expertise in the area. Delete the link and call the thread "Grades are silly but fun -- so how do YOU grade the O's draft!"

Tell us how you really feel Nick! lol

I like this draft. I like the infusion of upside. My worries come from the fact that I at the time liked the 09 draft due to the over slots we were signing and we all know how that went. Very high in risk very high on potential reward here though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

There were a lot of high grades given out in the piece. The lowest one was a D+ with none other

lower than a C+. Heck they gave 3 separate teams in the AL East an A-.

Like anything you have to take it with a grain of salt. But still interesting to see though.

I almost think the best way to grade a draft is economics. How many players do you get signed and for how much money?

Unless you have a top 10 pick, it seems dubious at best to make any projections of a guy who just got drafted.

This opinion is heavily influenced by Stotle's (it was Stotle right?) analysis of past drafts showing the likelihood a player drafted at a certain position made any impact in the majors.

Archived