Manny Machado...

Oriolesallday

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't there quite a few threads discussing him?

He's a budding superstar that started accumulating stats when most kids are in rookie ball. There is no reason to think that he won't have a great year, although expecting him to keep up the torrid pace of the past couple of weeks is unreasonable.

Manny actually has been hot for only about two weeks. His season has been one of streaks:

4/06-4/20 (13 games): .475 OPS

4/21-5/12 (18 games): 1.137 OPS

5/13-5/30 (17 games): .584 OPS

5/31-6/14 (14 games): 1.031 OPS

Right now Manny's sitting at .825 OPS; his season high was .868 back on May 12.

I predicted before the season began that Manny would post an .850+ OPS, and I haven't changed my mind. His power is developing and his eye is improving.

Can we talk about Manny Machado this past month? He has been on fire! I've heard very little talk about him. Do you think Manny will continue to stay hot? Or do you think it's just a streak and he'll regress for a while?

A fairly substantial percentage of players who were good MLB regulars at 19/20 end up with Cooperstown-worthy careers. My assumption has always been that Manny would improve a good bit, possibly dramatically, in his early-to-mid 20s. I hope we're seeing him in the process of setting in as a superstar, but you never quite know. Remember, in the first half of 2013 he hit about .320 with 40 doubles, and since May 1st this year his wOBA is almost identical to that period (.365 vs. .364).

Can we talk about Manny Machado this past month? He has been on fire! I've heard very little talk about him. Do you think Manny will continue to stay hot? Or do you think it's just a streak and he'll regress for a while?

I want him extended as soon as possible. Perhaps we can get him a bit cheaper because of the injury history. Maybe something like 7 years $90M?

Leading off may be good for him. He has improved his patience and OBP, and also his running game. Had we moved him towards the middle he may have more HR but probably lower OBP and wouldn't be expected to run.

It was either yesterday or the day before that Gary Thorne (I think?) said Buck told him Manny has shown greater concentration and focus during pre-game since he began leading off. This could completely be conjecture, but it may make sense. Manny is one of those players who has had everything come naturally to him for his entire career. I doubt he's ever been access to be a table setter. Perhaps having to learn a different aspect of the game has made him zero-in even more.

Leading off may be good for him. He has improved his patience and OBP, and also his running game. Had we moved him towards the middle he may have more HR but probably lower OBP and wouldn't be expected to run.

This. If it ain't broke...

I want him extended as soon as possible. Perhaps we can get him a bit cheaper because of the injury history. Maybe something like 7 years $90M?

I don't think his injury history is relevant when discussing the future. He had defects in his knees that were surgically repaired. The defects no longer exist and he has no other knees to injure that way.

I don't think his injury history is relevant when discussing the future. He had defects in his knees that were surgically repaired. The defects no longer exist and he has no other knees to injure that way.

While that is true, to the best of our knowledge, I did read that he has to adhere to a specialized workout program because of his knees. No reason to think that he won't but it would indicate that there is still some level of elevated risk.

Archived