2B - Schoop maybe in a week to 10 days

SS - Hardy

3B - Manny

C - Wieters

BC - Joseph

DH - Paredes - He is starting to hit again

UIF Flaherty

That's eleven. Two spots left.

Pearce plays 1B/2B/LF/RF/DH - He can platoon with Paredes at DH.

One more. Between Lough, Young, Snider.

Understand that Alvarez is near ready. He could be called up for an injury or wait until September.

Tough call.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logical choice is Young because you already have Paredes as the full time DH basically. But, I would love to have Delmon's bat around come the post-season.

I would try to work out a trades with Snider and Lough.

I like Lough, but there is just too much roster crunch going on now. You always have Borbon in the minors if you really need a CF for a period of time.

Has Pearce earned the right to be safe? Has Paredes? Between the two, I don't really know who I prefer. One can't play defense, and the other can't hit at the moment. Delmon Young is a strange handcuff situation. His postseason ability is tantalizing, but we need to get there first. He may or may not be able to help us get there.

I don't see how Snider survives Schoop's return. He just isn't hitting at all. I also don't know how long Remold will be healthy. Unfortunately for Nolan, I think that will work itself out eventually.

The OP lists Remold and Parmelee as guys that have to stay. Again, unfortunately, I think that's more of a wish than reality. And while I share the same view in that I hope Remold and Parmelee work out for the long term, we can hardly count on them beyond their next AB. I'll take whatever we get from them, but they're firmly in the TBD category.

I suspect DD had the phone lines cranked wide open and talking to all the GMs to see what dancing partners he can find.

Yep. I would not be surprised at all to see the O's pull off some trades before Chen and Schoop return to the roster.

Has Pearce earned the right to be safe? Has Paredes? Between the two, I don't really know who I prefer. One can't play defense, and the other can't hit at the moment. Delmon Young is a strange handcuff situation. His postseason ability is tantalizing, but we need to get there first. He may or may not be able to help us get there.

I don't see how Snider survives Schoop's return. He just isn't hitting at all. I also don't know how long Remold will be healthy. Unfortunately for Nolan, I think that will work itself out eventually.

The OP lists Remold and Parmelee as guys that have to stay. Again, unfortunately, I think that's more of a wish than reality. And while I share the same view in that I hope Remold and Parmelee work out for the long term, we can hardly count on them beyond their next AB. I'll take whatever we get from them, but they're firmly in the TBD category.

Between Pearce and Paredes, I prefer Paredes because he'll be around the next few years. This is when Schoop gets back. He's definitely safe until then, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The logical choice is Young because you already have Paredes as the full time DH basically. But, I would love to have Delmon's bat around come the post-season.

I would try to work out a trades with Snider and Lough.

I like Lough, but there is just too much roster crunch going on now. You always have Borbon in the minors if you really need a CF for a period of time.

Problem with Paredes is he stinks from the right side. It's almost like having a lefty with bad splits. Come to think of it, I don't know why he doesn't just bat lefty all the time. You still need a righty on the bench, whether that's Young or Pearce.

I think we get rid of Snider and Young. I favor Snider slightly just because of the ability to play a position and even splits even though he is lefty.

Look at who has to stay.

CF - Jones

LF - Reimold

RF -Parmelee

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop maybe in a week to 10 days

SS - Hardy

3B - Manny

C - Wieters

BC - Joseph

DH - Paredes - He is starting to hit again

UIF Flaherty

That's eleven. Two spots left.

Pearce plays 1B/2B/LF/RF/DH - He can platoon with Paredes at DH.

One more. Between Lough, Young, Snider.

Understand that Alvarez is near ready. He could be called up for an injury or wait until September.

Tough call.

You made a good point about player control. Parmalee would be a super 2 but will miss a 3rd year of service time by a few days. Paredes has long term control. While neither one may be an important long term piece, that service time is important for a team that doesn't have much going on offensively in the minors. Even Reimold should have another year of control. Snider becomes quite replaceable.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I think DD can get some value for Lough and Snider. I don't think he can get much for Delmon Young. I think it's a matter of who he can get value for in return.

If he could get anything for Pearce, I think he would move him, but that 3.7mill is tougher to move than Delmon, Lough or Snider.

For starters I'd take all the time needed for Schoop. I love him but we're doing just fine without him right now and that's a tough injury. When he and Chen return...

One of the three OF/DH/Util Righties has to go. I know Delmon is the playoff hero and all but he's not doing much and he'll never bring more than a bat. I'm not sure how you keep him over Pearce and Reimold.

Likewise, one of the three OF Lefties has to go. If Parm keeps hitting and Lough is our only plus defender (after AJ) he has to stay so Snider is out.

I did use the line yesterday that Paredes has turned into a pumpkin but he's bounced back of late, he switch hits, and is under team control for a while so I think he's safe.

So, I'd look to move Young, Snider, Norris, and Matusz. None of them are great but we can probably get a few decent MiLB types.

I agree with those that posit that all, except AJ obviously, are potential trade fodder. I would list Young, Snider, Parmalee, and Pearce among the most likely trade candidates. I think there will be too many concerns with Reimold's health history to generate much interest and I just doubt we'll be willing to part with Lough as a plus defender and the only one that can play CF (understanding Borbon is available in AAA, as well). I think it will ultimately come down to who teams are interested in.

I think they have to choose between Pearce and Young. Not sure they can keep both. I'm not sure they can keep Jimmy "no glove" Paredes, either.

They are going to have to choose between Parmelee, Snider, Lough and Reimold. Parmelee's 1B glove helps ease the sting if Pearce goes.

I think DD can get some value for Lough and Snider. I don't think he can get much for Delmon Young. I think it's a matter of who he can get value for in return.

If he could get anything for Pearce, I think he would move him, but that 3.7mill is tougher to move than Delmon, Lough or Snider.

Best post in this thread. This is exactly it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived