Roch: Going for it.

weams

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has Hamels written all over it. Probably a power LHRP, too. Question is, what bats are out there?

So we know that Bundy was almost included in the Bud Norris trade.

How much MORE would Hamels cost? I'd have to think at least two of our great prospects, plus more. That is not a very Orioles like move.

Here's the whole quote:

I'm constantly asked whether the Orioles will trade some of their pending free agents at the non-waiver deadline, including Davis, left-hander Wei-Yin Chen and catcher Matt Wieters. Not if the team is in contention. The idea is to win it all in 2015, not worry about expiring contracts. The Orioles will be buyers again. Get ready to worry about more minor leaguers blossoming in a new organization

That doesn't suggest to me that there will be some sort of blockbuster acquisition. Just moves akin to what we saw in 2012-2014.

So we know that Bundy was almost included in the Bud Norris trade.

How much MORE would Hamels cost? I'd have to think at least two of our great prospects, plus more. That is not a very Orioles like move.

With Bundy's injury...I believe he can not be traded for much of anything.

]So we know that Bundy was almost included in the Bud Norris trade.[/b]

How much MORE would Hamels cost? I'd have to think at least two of our great prospects' date=' plus more. That is not a very Orioles like move.[/quote']

Is this real life? We were, at the time, going to give up one of the top prospects in all of baseball for sorry Bud Norris?

Is this real life? We were' date=' at the time, going to give up one of the top prospects in all of baseball for sorry Bud Norris?[/quote']

I bet DD would laugh at this idea. Just because the Astros asked doesn't mean that the Orioles entertained the idea for one second. I'm sure that was shut down pretty quickly. They also asked for Gausman, initially.

I bet DD would laugh at this idea. Just because the Astros asked doesn't mean that the Orioles entertained the idea for one second. I'm sure that was shut down pretty quickly. They also asked for Gausman, initially.

The leaks appear to show that the Astros asked for Gausman OR Bundy. Duquette quickly said no to Gausman, and then said something like he would have to check with the team doctors first before letting them know about Bundy. So I guess it didn't get super close to an agreement, but it was entertained.

Point is, Hamels is indeed much much better........a real ace........and the Orioles don't typically make trades for star type players in their prime. When was the last time? Glenn Davis?

Most of the real star talent we've added in the Angelos era has been either through FA (Tejada, Belle, Alomar etc) , or by buying low / trading for prospects (Jones, Davis, Hardy.............).

And this is the scary part. We have a bunch of expiring salaries, and we are set to trade our best prospects? Really? This is just not sustainable baseball management, and it is my biggest fear. I would much prefer to stay very close to where we are, with what we presently have plus a middling addition or two and go for it. Selling out to win it all this year is imo unrealistic and short sighted.

The leaks appear to show that the Astros asked for Gausman OR Bundy. Duquette quickly said no to Gausman, and then said something like he would have to check with the team doctors first before letting them know about Bundy. So I guess it didn't get super close to an agreement, but it was entertained.

Point is, Hamels is indeed much much better........a real ace........and the Orioles don't typically make trades for star type players in their prime. When was the last time? Glenn Davis?

Most of the real star talent we've added in the Angelos era has been either through FA, or by buying low / trading for prospects (Jones, Davis, Hardy.............).

He also costs about 50x more than Norris did in terms of contract dollars. So we have some different options. 1, we take on more of his contract and offer less in prospects, or 2, we offer more in prospects and take on substantially less money. I hope they decide to take on the money if he's healthy, because we'll have a lot coming off the books after this season, and should be able to afford him moving forward.

Here's the whole quote:

That doesn't suggest to me that there will be some sort of blockbuster acquisition. Just moves akin to what we saw in 2012-2014.

I agree with this. Weams has suggested an experienced lefthanded reliever that can get lefties and righties out. That makes sense to me.

Contrary to the sentiment of most O's fans, I'm disappointed that we haven't used Bundy in a trade. Not for Norris per se, but in general.

I was already leery of being too bullish on him because pitchers drafted out of high school don't have very good success rate with regards to making the majors.

I certainly hope I'm wrong and Bundy becomes an impact guy for us next year. However, looking at his injury history already, I can't help but wonder if we missed the boat.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Is this real life? We were' date=' at the time, going to give up one of the top prospects in all of baseball for sorry Bud Norris?[/quote']

This is not real life, it's negotiations. Why wouldn't they ask for Bundy?? In hindsight, with all Bundy's arm issues and need to be on the 25 man roster next year, that deal today would look like a steal and people would be accusing the O's of selling damaged goods.

Archived