Could Parmelee be a nugget?

Frobby

Chris Parmelee is off to a nice start with us. He's only 27, and under team control for three more years after this one. Could he be our 1B for that entire period? How would you feel about an infield of Parmelee, Schoop, Hardy and Manny for the next three seasons, with Flaherty filling in wherever needed?

Obviously we need to see a lot more of Parmelee, but his history is kind of similar to Chris Davis when we acquired him (with more contact, less power). He's a good defensive 1B and can play the OF if needed. If he can post an .800ish OPS, he could be a nugget.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been surprised at how good he's looked at 1B. Even on tough plays it seems like he has a calmness about him defensively.

Offensively, an .800ish OPS would be pretty nice for the next 3 years. We probably don't really have anyone in the system that could come very close to that at 1B. Parmelee has posted above an .800 OPS multiple times in the minors, so I don't think that it's too far out of the realm of possibilities that "it" has finally clicked for him up here and he could be a nugget going forward.

I think he could be a 1-2 WAR first baseman.

Whether or not that's good enough next year depends on who else they bring in. Right now, Joseph would be starting catcher and Snider/Reimold/Lough take the corner OF spots and Paredes is at DH. That's too many role players to field a serious WS contender.

So far Parmelee looks like a nugget but we have to see more. I think Buck has him a first to see whether he can be the guy there for the next three years.

I am not convinced that all the O's players that are free agents leave. The O's will have a lot of salary room and may decide to keep some.

Between Norfolk (no easy place to hit) and MLB the chicken parm is slashing roughly .300 w/ 10 HR and 38 RBI. Camden Yards should play kind to him and he's already a 0.5 WAR player in 15 games here in the bigs (SSS caveat). Crazier things have happened...especially when you consider he just turned 27 a few months ago.

Oddly he hits for a slightly better avg in his career against LHP (.262 vs .247) but has demonstrated way more power against RHP (23 HR vs 5 HR).

Chris Parmalee, the new Steve Pearce.

The new Steve Pearce could make a decent platoon with the old Steve Pearce. I am guessing that is Plan A for first base next year. Paredes, if he works on his defense at 1B, Christian Walker, and Mancini are depth options.

In parts of four years with the Twins his career numbers away for Target Field were:

Career, Away, 424 AB, 17 HR, 49 RBI, 262/331/441/772

2014, Away, 120 AB, 4 HR, 16 RBI, 300/346/450/796

Trade Target Field for Camden Yards and Parmelee may be a keeper.

I think Parmalee is a perfect fit for 1B next year. Nice if he develop a little more power - but he plays 1B well and has good on base skills. BTW - Trey Mancini came back from his food poisoning and is still killing it - he is now hitting .370 in AA. Wow.

His career road numbers in the majors are .258/.328/.434, for a .762 OPS. If he can do that he'll be a passable first baseman for a few years, league average at first over the past 2+ seasons is something like .760. That bat plays a little better in an outfield corner, but I think his defense falls off there, too. I think it's possible that he could be a productive role player, less likely he's a really good full time player.

His career road numbers in the majors are .258/.328/.434, for a .762 OPS. If he can do that he'll be a passable first baseman for a few years, league average at first over the past 2+ seasons is something like .760. That bat plays a little better in an outfield corner, but I think his defense falls off there, too. I think it's possible that he could be a productive role player, less likely he's a really good full time player.

So a nugget in the "Steve Pearce/Travis Snider mold"? :scratchchinhmm:

Archived