Rule 5 Review

Rene88

While the O's have done well with the Rule 5 draft, that may be a thing of the past. The way this team has built up depth and Buck uses the roster, there may not be room for non-contributing Rule 5 guys in the future (unless they can spend lots of time on the DL).

OTOH, the depth may look different next year if we don't sign any of our soon-to-be free agents and don't pick up established major leaguers through trades and FA signings.

While the O's have done well with the Rule 5 draft, that may be a thing of the past. The way this team has built up depth and Buck uses the roster, there may not be room for non-contributing Rule 5 guys in the future (unless they can spend lots of time on the DL).

OTOH, the depth may look different next year if we don't sign any of our soon-to-be free agents and don't pick up established major leaguers through trades and FA signings.

I would have thought that this year, but we bit the bullet pretty hard holding onto Garcia earlier in the season. If anything there may be more optionable assets and flexibilty in the BP (and roster) next year. Seems to me DD is pretty intent on using the rule 5. I'm thinking OTOH may apply.

If Bundy is healthy enough to play next season, he will have to be on the roster all season. Can't see making room for him and a Rule 5.

JHMO Bundy will be a LONG SHOT right now. IF I was the O's he would not be HIGH on my plans.

NOT saying dump him, but any thing we get from Bundy moving forward will be a pleasant SURPRISE.

I would have thought that this year, but we bit the bullet pretty hard holding onto Garcia earlier in the season. If anything there may be more optionable assets and flexibilty in the BP (and roster) next year. Seems to me DD is pretty intent on using the rule 5. I'm thinking OTOH may apply.

I absolutely agree. I think we will give a Rule Fiver a chance.

I absolutely agree. I think we will give a Rule Fiver a chance.

It doesn't make sense not to. You take a guy and see where your team is on OD and if you have room.

It could be difficult next year if Bundy is healthy and Garcia still has days to serve to become optionable.

I know at least one of the two guys we acquired from Houston was going to be rule 5 eligible and will go on our 40 man but have options. So it seems DD already went out and got a guy he wanted without being stuck with 'll of the restrictions.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

As they always remind us, roster flexibility is an asset and we will have that in spades next season. Not having a stong minor league pipeline allows for the top end to be filled by finding a role on the 25 man roster for someone that has navigated most of the hurdles of success. And then has three years of options ahead. And six of full control.

Archived