Fangraphs" July 2 Sortable Board

Can_of_corn

I really like Sibrian as a catch-and-throw backstop with some offensive upside when I saw him earlier this spring:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7c0E1WzEmMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6 other teams aren't projected to sign anyone on the list and three teams aren't projected to sign anyone for more than $450K.

The Dodgers and Cubs are going all in this year, and won't be able to sign anyone else for more than $300K the next two years.

The Orioles have the 3rd lowest signing bonus pool this season ($2.002 million) because it is based on the previous year's winning percentage. Hopefully they actually spend it all this year.

6 other teams aren't projected to sign anyone on the list and three teams aren't projected to sign anyone for more than $450K.

The Dodgers and Cubs are going all in this year, and won't be able to sign anyone else for more than $300K the next two years.

The Orioles have the 3rd lowest signing bonus pool this season ($2.002 million) because it is based on the previous year's winning percentage. Hopefully they actually spend it all this year.

The Red Sox and Yankees are in time-out this year.

And take the next two years off? Not worth it.

How is it not worth it? The Orioles take two years off of signing players above $300 K. So, they are missing out on how many potential signings exactly? One? Two? They can sign as many under $300K as they can fit under their cap.

How is it not worth it? The Orioles take two years off of signing players above $300 K. So, they are missing out on how many potential signings exactly? One? Two? They can sign as many under $300K as they can fit under their cap.

How many of guys that fall under this have the O's exceeded 300K on in the past?

How many of guys that fall under this have the O's exceeded 300K on in the past?

I don't know the answer, but I'm certain I could count it on my hands. Reyes, Veloz, Leyba, Alvarez? I don't think Urrutia or Yoon counted towards the cap.

Exactly, not much of a handicap considering their past history.

No argument here. But many of these kids were locked-up a while ago with handshake deals. Maybe Baltimore's simply electing not to play that game, and is content to see what's "left over" (not in a bad way, necessarily) and to focus on the kids that bloom a little later in the process.

If you are taking two years off then you do it right, go way over, sign a ton of guys and go $10 million over like the Yankees and Sox last year or the Dodgers and Cubs this year.

If you are taking two years off then you do it right, go way over, sign a ton of guys and go $10 million over like the Yankees and Sox last year or the Dodgers and Cubs this year.

That makes no sense whatsoever. The only reason that makes sense for those teams is they actually plan to spend regularly in that price range. So they have to sign enough to make it worth sitting out of the deep end for a time. Baltimore doesn't swim in the deep end, so who cares about them being held out for two years?

EDIT -- Actually, let's assume Baltimore intends to maybe sign one or two players over $350K over the next two/three seasons. They should sign that many this year if they plan to go over.

I'm not sure why you think "doing it right" means you have to spend tens of millions in penalties.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blue Jays trade Chase Dejong and Tim Locastro to Dodgers for more international pool money.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">July 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The move enables them to sign Vlad Jr and only be in penalty for one year instead of two.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blue Jays trade Chase Dejong and Tim Locastro to Dodgers for more international pool money.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="
">July 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The move enables them to sign Vlad Jr and only be in penalty for one year instead of two.

Ridiculous. Dodgers are already way, way over their pool allotment, so they are allowed to trade away pool money to gain prospects? Absurd. Why bother to have rules at all?

Archived