Melewski: Ben Rowen, acquired in Webb trade, opts out

mdbdotcom

According to Steve

Right-handed pitcher Ben Rowen, who was acquired by the Orioles in a trade that sent pitcher Ryan Webb to the Los Angeles Dodgers on April 9, has opted out of his O's contract. Rowen had a clause where he could opt-out if not put on the Orioles 40-man roster by July 1. While the O's clearly liked him, they were not prepared to add him to the 40-man just yet.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Givens.

Givens is a good prospect, probably a better prospect than Ben Rowen. But there are plenty of potential spots to fill in next year's bullpen.

The question is whether there was a realistic way to create room on the 40 man roster for Rowen. It seems to me that the O's could have safely removed Rey Navarro, for instance.

Givens is a good prospect, probably a better prospect than Ben Rowen. But there are plenty of potential spots to fill in next year's bullpen.

The question is whether there was a realistic way to create room on the 40 man roster for Rowen. It seems to me that the O's could have safely removed Rey Navarro, for instance.

I agree they could have made room for him if they were really enamored with him.

It's very real. Dan sold the Dodgers the comp pick. Really no other way to spin it.

Will be hilarious if he rejoins the Dodgers.

Dan send Webb and a comp pick to the Dodgers so he could save 2.69m and be able to use that money this month to acquire a player to help the O's win the division.

Dan send Webb and a comp pick to the Dodgers so he could save 2.69m and be able to use that money this month to acquire a player to help the O's win the division.

Maybe the money gets spent.

Even if it does it shows that he didn't properly allocate his budget, unless you think the riots caused the issue...which would be a fair argument.

Maybe the money gets spent.

Even if it does it shows that he didn't properly allocate his budget, unless you think the riots caused the issue...which would be a fair argument.

Dan assembled a team with a lot of depth and he stayed within budget from what we know. Some of that depth has been let go because other playera turned out to be better or because healthy. Webb, Cabrera, De Aza, Young and Lavarnway all fit into that category. Reimold and Parmelee are other depth players that are currently on trial. Really, if you think about it Paredes, Roe and Snider were depth players that were added and are current working out for the team.

Its just the way Dan constructs a team and if you want to call it misallocation of funds then that is fine but I just see it as the way Dan goes about his business.

Dan assembled a team with a lot of depth and he stayed within budget from what we know. Some of that depth has been let go because other playera turned out to be better or because healthy. Webb, Cabrera, De Aza, Young and Lavarnway all fit into that category. Reimold and Parmelee are other depth players that are currently on trial. Really, if you think about it Paredes, Roe and Snider were depth players that were added and are current working out for the team.

Its just the way Dan constructs a team and if you want to call it misallocation of funds then that is fine but I just see it as the way Dan goes about his business.

I think the issue here is they are saying they traded Webb and the pick to get guys they liked. But they let one leave when all he needed was to be added to the to 40 man. There are three to four easy moves they could have done to add him to the 40 man.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

There was money for Miller last year.

I think Dan has been telling us that there is money available all season right?

Archived