Is it too early to call the J.J. Hardy extension a mistake?

TINSTAAPP

Let's talk about J.J. Hardy for a moment since nobody seems to want to discuss his struggles. It's alarming how bad he has been at the plate this year. Hardy has a BB rate of 4.2% this year which is the worst walk rate on a team filled with impatient hackers. Among the 31 shortstops in baseball with over 200 plate appearances, Hardy is 26th in OPS and 27th in on-base percentage and wRC+. The alarming part is that his current .269 BABIP is not too far off from his career .278 BABIP so there's not much indication his atrocious performance at the plate has been due to bad luck. His defense has been solid as always but is it worth paying $13 million a year for an aging all-glove no-bat shortstop? I feel like the Orioles could have easily found a cheaper, younger alternative at SS or moved Manny to SS and traded for a player like Trevor Plouffe who is blocking Sano right now.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was not a good deal because of the injuries and frankly lack of production. That said, its not like JJ brings nothing to the team. He is a solid defender, has a knack for hitting decently with RISP and IMO if we lose this division, it wont be because of JJ Hardy.

So it might not have been a good deal but it was not a complete bust.

He does so many things well that do not show up on the box score. And I still think there's some life left in that bat. And the range may be what it used to be, but he's not late-in-his-career Jeter either.

I'm glad JJ's on our our team, and we'll miss him when he's gone.

Yes, it's too early.

:agree: :agree:

As bad as his offense has been, his return stabilized and markedly improved the infield defense.

Catchers and shortstops who can hit are the hardest position players to find/replace. We can't even come up with quality corner outfielders. What would be the alternative at SS to Hardy extended?

I was just wondering tonight what we could get for Hardy. After this season he will be a 5 and 10 guy, with the right to veto any trade. It would be fun to watch Manny and Schoop up the middle. Until Manny was brought up from Bowie in 2012, those two were the double-play combo of the future. Well, the future is here.

Archived