Zack Greinke

CA-ORIOLE

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable talent though. Give him time to grow up.

I actually think he's handled it better than many kids who get endless praise and make too much money too young. Think about it, he isn't flaming out, he's doing his job extremely well, isn't a criminal or alcoholic. He takes himself too seriously but I don't think he's been that bad at all.

His personality and ego are big turnoffs a lot of the time, but he has an amazing sense of the strike zone. From what I've heard - the best since Ted Williams. Once he gets the respect that Williams got from the umps, I'm not sure how anyone's going to get him out.

His personality and ego are big turnoffs a lot of the time, but he has an amazing sense of the strike zone. From what I've heard - the best since Ted Williams. Once he gets the respect that Williams got from the umps, I'm not sure how anyone's going to get him out.

Then he needs to be smarter. I'm reading a book on Williams right now and he was always careful never to show up an umpire and even used a guy to get notes on particular pitchers until MLB put a stop to it. Harper has shown up a countless number of umpires over his short career. No doubt he has a very good eye up there, but he'll only help himself if he learn when and where to channel that ego. Ol' Ted was known to have his run ins with more than a few people over his career. He never suffered fools gladly, but umpires had his respect because he never questioned their calls and they appreciated that.

Boggs?

Bonds?

Ted's top walk seasons: 162, 162, 156, 147, 145, 144, 136 and 126. In his 136-walk season, he only played in 117 games.
Boggs?

Bonds?

Williams had more walks than games four times over his career and would have had more (remember his missed three years during WWII in the prime of his career), Bonds did it three times (most notably 2004 when he had 232 in 147 GP), and Boggs never did it but had a lifetime .415 OBP. Williams career OBP was .482 and Bonds was .444 over his career.

Boggs?

Bonds?

Bonds' walks are a bit distorted due to the ridiculous number of intentional walks he started drawing late in his career. He drew 2,558 walks, 688 of which were intentional (and you have to wonder how many more were semi-intentional). By contrast, Rickey Henderson drew 2,190 walks, 61 of which were intentional. (Note: they didn't start keeping track of IBB's until 1955.)

Williams had more walks than games four times over his career and would have had more (remember his missed three years during WWII in the prime of his career), Bonds did it three times (most notably 2004 when he had 232 in 147 GP), and Boggs never did it but had a lifetime .415 OBP. Williams career OBP was .482 and Bonds was .444 over his career.
Bonds' walks are a bit distorted due to the ridiculous number of intentional walks he started drawing late in his career. He drew 2,558 walks, 688 of which were intentional (and you have to wonder how many more were semi-intentional). By contrast, Rickey Henderson drew 2,190 walks, 61 of which were intentional. (Note: they didn't start keeping track of IBB's until 1955.)

I was throwing out a couple guys with a pretty decent sense of the strike zone that played in the period between Williams and Harper.

I think there is a huge tendency in today's society to call the current hot thing the hottest thing ever.

I was throwing out a couple guys with a pretty decent sense of the strike zone that played in the period between Williams and Harper.

I think there is a huge tendency in today's society to call the current hot thing the hottest thing ever.

Agreed.

And then there's that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...