2015 Norfolk Tides: Best Record in International League

OFFNY

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are having a great season. Somehow they'd take the big club to 7 games in a series but can't get a player called up to Baltimore right now. Gamboa and Davies would be sure wins for the tides.

I love knuckleballers, and if the O's fall totally out of it I'll be rooting for a Gamboa callup. But he doesn't really deserve one on merit. He's walking almost six batters per nine, and has hit eight batters, thrown seven wild pitches, and had four balks in 82 innings.

I love knuckleballers, and if the O's fall totally out of it I'll be rooting for a Gamboa callup. But he doesn't really deserve one on merit. He's walking almost six batters per nine, and has hit eight batters, thrown seven wild pitches, and had four balks in 82 innings.

I know walks are never a positive, but I took that as meaning he is strictly throwing the Knuckler now. Before he was trying to use he previous arsenal of pitches that had a 4A ceiling. His opposing BA is down 31 points and he's given up fewer HR's. Those knuckleballer's will have some crazy stats, but it appears players aren't hitting him hard.

I know walks are never a positive, but I took that as meaning he is strictly throwing the Knuckler now. Before he was trying to use he previous arsenal of pitches that had a 4A ceiling. His opposing BA is down 31 points and he's given up fewer HR's. Those knuckleballer's will have some crazy stats, but it appears players aren't hitting him hard.

Good thoughts as usual. I watch a good share of games on my phone from milb.tv and can say you are right (positive he is throwing knuckler) but the BB rate is way too high. Maybe another year?

I love Eddie and pulling for him!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o

(AUGUST 3rd)

After coming from behind to defeat AAA-Louisville by a score of 3-2, the Tides are now 44-1 in games in which they have had the lead entering the 9th inning.

Terry Doyle pitched 8 innings of 2-run ball for the W in his season debut for AAA-Norfolk.

Oliver Drake finished off the AAA-Bats in the 9th inning for his 17th save of the season.

o

The Tides are 20 games over .500 (64-44 overall.)

In 2009, the Tides started the season running away with the International League with a record of 34-15 in their first 53 games before the promotions of most of their stars to the Orioles (Matt Wieters, Nolan Reimold, Brad Bergesen, Jason Berken, Chris Tillman, David Hernandez, etc.), at which point the Tides fell all the way down to .500 (71-71) by season's end.

The last time that the Tides were 20 games over .500 was in 2001, when they finished said season at 85-57.

o

Not including a throwing error by the 3rd baseman, Villanueva allowed 2 base-runners in the first 7 innings ...... a walk, and a single.

At the time of the error, there were 2 outs in the 7th inning, and Villanueva was at 83 pitches. He promptly got the next batter to fly out on 4 pitches, essentially getting the 4th out of the inning.

He then ceded 2 more singles to start the 8th inning before manager Ron Johnson took him out of the game.

Richard Rodriguez then came into the game to record a triple play to end the inning !!!

21 OUTS: 7 Flyouts, 5 Groundouts, 4 Strikeouts, 4 Lineouts, 1 Popout

ELIH CHRISTOPHER VILLANUEVA O(vs. AAA-Durham, 8/11)

IP:. 7 - PLUS

H:;; 3 l(3 Singles)

R:l) 0

BB: 1

SO: 4

Pitches: 88 (54 Strikes, 34 Balls)

2015 ERA: 4.28l(AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

17 (10 Strikes, 7 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

71 (51 Strikes, 2 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 5 Balls)

19 (10 Strikes, 9 Balls)

51 (21 Strikes, 3 Balls) *

* Villanueva did not record any outs before departing in the 8th inning.

Melewski has an interview of Tides manager Ron Johnson up. Here's a few excerpts:

"Our pitching has carried us," Johnson said. "Pitching and defense have won us ballgames. Our pitching has been strong all season. One thing Buck (Showalter) talked about last year is that we definitely want the focus on defense to trickle down into the minors. If we are going to have guys fill gaps for our major league team, they have to defend.

"Paul Janish might be one of the best shortstops in the game. Rey Navarro has done a nice job at second and short. Michael Almanzar has been very good at third base, and Christian Walker has become a very good defensive first baseman. You put them together with the quality of arms we have, and it's been a nice mix.

"The difference between our team this year and last year is night and day because of the defenders we have. They help guys go deeper into ballgames and help the young pitchers develop. We've had some game changers defensively in the field."

Johnson saw that the Orioles were ranked No. 29 in Baseball America's organizational rankings over the winter and did not agree with that at all. He feels the O's minors have taken an unfair hit.

"Absolutely. One, I have seen since I've been here, and this is my fourth year, the growth in player development has been tremendous," he said. "I was with Boston when we started to get the (Dustin) Pedroias, (Clay) Buchholzs and the (Jon) Lesters. This reminds of me of that here. I see quality kids coming through our organization.

"Brian Graham (director of player development) has done a fantastic job of bringing in quality instructors. We have some real quality people. Just look at my club here. Sean Berry, major league hitting coach. Jose Hernandez, 15 years in the big leagues. Mike Griffin, got to be one of the best pitching coaches around. It goes right down through the system.

"People that say this organization is 27th or 28th. They need to revisit that. Or better yet, get out and travel a little bit."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/08/a-look-at-their-strong-season-as-the-norfolk-tides-charge-toward-the-playoffs.html

So happy for the Tides and Baysox this season. It is so refreshing to have such competitive teams. DD had a bad offseason but this is something he and Buck deserve a great deal of credit for. Are they packed full of prospects? No. Are there guys playing below their actual levels? Yes. But winning does set a certain atmosphere and a winning culture is something we need.

Hats off to RJ and the Orioles brass this season for a great season.

o

3 earned runs over 7 innings.

21 OUTS: 8 Groundouts, 4 Strikeouts, 3 Popouts, 3 Flyouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Caught Stealing, 1 Out Stretching a Double

ELIH CHRISTOPHER VILLANUEVA O(vs. AAA-Louisville, 8/16)

IP:. 7

H:;; 10 l(1 Triple, 4 Doubles, 5 Singles)

R:l) 4

ER:)3

BB: 0

SO: 4

Pitches: 95 (63 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2015 ERA: 4.20 l(AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

21 (13 Strikes, 8 Balls)

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

81 (51 Strikes, 3 Balls)

18 (11 Strikes, 7 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls)

• 2 weeks later...

o

(AUGUST 26th)

The Tides have a 3-game lead over AAA-Gwinnett, with 13 games left to play.

Of those 13 games that they have left, 8 of them are against AAA-Gwinnett. :eektf:

AUGUST 27 @ Gwinnett, 6:35 PM

AUGUST 28 @ Gwinnett, 7:05 PM

AUGUST 29 @ Gwinnett, 7:05 PM

AUGUST 30 @ Gwinnett, 2:05 PM

AUGUST 31 vs. Charlotte, 7:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 1 vs. Charlotte, 7:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 2 vs. Gwinnett, 5:05 PM O(DOUBLEHEADER - Game # 1)

SEPTEMBER 2 vs. Gwinnett, 7:35 PM O(DOUBLEHEADER - Game # 2)

SEPTEMBER 3 vs. Gwinnett, 7:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 4 vs. Gwinnett, 7:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 5 @ Durham, 6:35 PM

SEPTEMBER 6 @ Durham, 5:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 7 @ Durham, 1:05 PM

Bring it!

The comment on such a low farm system rating is intriguing. I really hope Johnson is right and people aren't aware of what's cooking down there. The record says, strong team full of strong players. But at the trade deadline what we heard is, "the Orioles don't have the prospects to land someone big." Crossing my fingers.

Archived