Tommy Hunter to Cubs for Junior Lake (Deal Done)

sipper65

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before we jump all over the guy, I just want to say that I have always liked Tommy Hunter as a person and he has been a good fit with the team chemistry during our playoff year run the past few years. He may not be DoD out in the pen, but he's been decent for us, and as Buck says, "these guys aren't meat." I like Tommy and wish him well, whether that be finishing 2 more months in Baltimore or heading out to another team.

Before we jump all over the guy, I just want to say that I have always liked Tommy Hunter as a person and he has been a good fit with the team chemistry during our playoff year run the past few years. He may not be DoD out in the pen, but he's been decent for us, and as Buck says, "these guys aren't meat." I like Tommy and wish him well, whether that be finishing 2 more months in Baltimore or heading out to another team.

Little late there, already started. :)

Which is EXACTLY what was said about Jake and Strop and now some posters like to groan and complain when either does well.

True, but not this poster. I'm of the opinion that Arrieta and Strop were done here, period, and their current success would not have happened here in B'more.

Could Hunter go to Chicago and become a shutdown 'pen guy? Sure - he's certainly shown flashes of dominance. But he's been WAY too inconsistent, IMO, and I consider him a very average reliever. Not terrible, but no better than middle-of-the-pack. There are guys in our system who I'm more eager to see that roster spot go to right now.

True, but not this poster. I'm of the opinion that Arrieta and Strop were done here, period, and their current success would not have happened here in B'more.

Could Hunter go to Chicago and become a shutdown 'pen guy? Sure - he's certainly shown flashes of dominance. But he's been WAY too inconsistent, IMO, and I consider him a very average reliever. Not terrible, but no better than middle-of-the-pack. There are guys in our system who I'm more eager to see that roster spot go to right now.

Tommy is also a non QO FA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Heard yesterday O's wanted to clear roster spot in 'pen (and dump some salary). This must be it, per <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal">@Ken_Rosenthal</a> <a href="https://t.co/4dyZhzVLTs">https://t.co/4dyZhzVLTs</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hunter's neither great nor terrible. But if the idea floated here (trade Hunter, call up Garcia) is carried out, let's be clear: that's a downgrade for the next two months. I'm not necessarily against the move if the prospect has some upside, but that's not a move that helps us in 2015.

Archived