We need 3 catchers on this roster

Aglets

So after doing some quick analysis on the Jimmy Paredes thread, I came to realize that we are really struggling at the DH position right now.

Paredes should not be playing at all against LHP like he was yesterday with a sub .600 OPS.

I happened to notice that Joseph and Wieters are both OPSing over .700, with pretty minor platoon splits.

It's basically gotten to the point where we need both of these guys in the lineup as much as possible, they are outhitting Paredes, Snider, Lough, and Reimold (vs. RHP).

My solution: Bring up Steve Clevenger!

That way we have flexibility enough to put two catchers in the lineup consistently. We could keep alternating Wieters and Joseph between C and 1B too, with Davis in RF vs. right handers. Reimold should play vs. lefties.

Thoughts? As far as picking one of those other 4 guys to cut, I'd probably remove Paredes (he is crashing to his career .261/.296/.378 line very quickly). Although Snider could also be considered.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So after doing some quick analysis on the Jimmy Paredes thread, I came to realize that we are really struggling at the DH position right now.

Paredes should not be playing at all against LHP like he was yesterday with a sub .600 OPS.

I happened to notice that Joseph and Wieters are both OPSing over .700, with pretty minor platoon splits.

It's basically gotten to the point where we need both of these guys in the lineup as much as possible, they are outhitting Paredes, Snider, Lough, and Reimold (vs. RHP).

That way we have flexibility enough to put two catchers in the lineup consistently. We could keep alternating Wieters and Joseph between C and 1B too, with Davis in RF vs. right handers. Reimold should play vs. lefties.

Thoughts? As far as picking one of those other 4 guys to cut, I'd probably remove Paredes (he is crashing to his career .261/.296/.378 line very quickly). Although Snider could also be considered.

We can play both at the same time already. No reason for Clevenger to be called up. Flaherty can play 1st as well which means we are 3 deep at 1st as well and he is our back up to the back up catcher.

September 1 comes soon enough.

We can play both at the same time already. No reason for Clevenger to be called up. Flaherty can play 1st as well which means we are 3 deep at 1st as well and he is our back up to the back up catcher.

Flaherty is in a terrible slump and should be left as a platoon partner. We have 5 OFs (not including Davis). Leads to a lot of sitting around for Snider/Lough. Lough is more valuable as a defensive replacement. Snider should come off the roster, but if Pearce is ready soon I would just wait for him to become available to remove Snider. I would not remove Parades - he is regressing yes, but he has the ability to get hot and his results this year are still good on the whole.

Flaherty is in a terrible slump and should be left as a platoon partner. We have 5 OFs (not including Davis). Leads to a lot of sitting around for Snider/Lough. Lough is more valuable as a defensive replacement. Snider should come off the roster, but if Pearce is ready soon I would just wait for him to become available to remove Snider. I would not remove Parades - he is regressing yes, but he has the ability to get hot and his results this year are still good on the whole.

And nothing you said impacts what I said. Clevenger coming up would have him sit as well.

I think Paredes has shown that he is a reasonable MLB hitter. Don't you?

He's real bad vs. LHP.

For his career his OPS is .724 vs. RHP which is serviceable I suppose. I don't mind him as a strict platoon DH against RHP, although I would hope we try to do better than that at some point.

He's real bad vs. LHP.

For his career his OPS is .724 vs. RHP which is serviceable I suppose. I don't mind him as a strict platoon DH against RHP, although I would hope we try to do better than that at some point.

You don't think he and Manny are outperforming their career averages?

He's real bad vs. LHP.

There are really not many left handed starters.

He's real bad vs. LHP.

And I don't think we lost as many games because of his ineffectiveness against left handers than we have by piddling around with hope and prayer guys. I really don't.

This is where the loss of Steve Pearce hurts us. If he was just healthy, the Orioles could just do a straight platoon with him and Paredes and give Reimold most of the starts in left field. With Pearce out, they'll have to give Snider more playing time or keep Paredes in there against left handed pitching. And I really don't like any of our bats in the minors. They either can't draw a walk to save their lives or have shown no power or can't hit for average at all. There's no optimal solution available right now.

Archived