O's LH pitching prospects

stef

I am concerned about the dearth of minor league LH pitching in the Os' system--especially starters. So, below is a list. Grim. Any starting help is a long way off and other than McFarland, Cabral, and potentially Tolliver, Hart and a few others, there is not much near-term relief help either.

Notes:

LHers traded by Duquette: Eduardo Rodriguez, Josh Hader, Stephen Brault, Stephen Tarpley. Both Brault and Tarpley are doing pretty well.

In 2013 The Os drafted four LHers in the first eleven rounds and in 2014 they drafted five LHers in first thirteen rounds.

Obviously, just because a player is listed as a started doesn't mean that is where they will end up and vice versa.

No, I am not including Dana Eveland!

AAA

starters

Chirs Jones, 26 108IP/122H 74K/25BB .290BAA

relievers

TJ McFarland, 26

Cesar Cabral, 26

AA

starters

Tim Berry, 24 (2009/50) repeating AA, very poor 2015 season. What is going on with him? Too long for it to be an injury, right?

Chris Lee, 22 mid-season pick-up, just up from Frederick.

Ariel Miranda, 26 (Cuba) just up from a short, effective stint at Frederick

relievers

Ashur Tolliver (2009/5) repeating AA at 27 has had arm injuries

Jhonathon Ramos, 25 (intl) on DL

Pat McCoy, 27

Hi A

starters

Matt Taylor, 24 (2011/5), repeating Frederick

Mitch Horacek, 23 (2013/9) 119IP/111H 113K/42BB

Luis Gonzalez, 23 (intl) 96.2IP/134H 69K/50BB

relievers

Donnie Hart, 24 (2013/27) effective late inning reliever

Ronan Pacheco, 27 (intl)

Cody Wheeler, 25, pitched effectively, now on DL

Lo A

starters

Bennett Parry, 23 (2011/40), third stop at Delmarva, having good year, on DL

Brian Gonzalez, 19 (2014/3) too few Ks, too many walks

John Means, 22 (2014/11)

relievers

Derrick Bleeker, 24 (2012,37) on DL, 26H/20.2IP, 18K/0BB

Tanner Scott, 21 (2014/6)

Max Schuh, 23 (2014/7) 22K/19.1IP

Matt Trowbridge, 22 (2014/13)

Short season A/Rookie

Kevin Grendell, 21 (2012,11),

Travis Seabrooke,19 (2013/5) Out (knee) in 2014, doing o.k. in 2015

Daniel Ayers, 20 (2013/25)

Garrett Cleavinger, 21 (2015/3)

Robert Strader, 21 (2015/12)

Nick Vespi,19 (2015/18)

Will Dennis, 21 (2015/23)

Will Shepley, 22 (2015/31)

Xavier Borde, 22 (2015/36)

Robert Strader, 21 (2015/12)

Elias Pinales, 22 (intl)

Reid Love, 23 (2015/10)

Yi-Hsiang Lin, 22 (intl) scouted during McPhail's regime and signed by DD. Fourth year in a short season.

Jan Novak, 21 (intl) Signed 12/12 via the MLB European Academy in Italy. From Czech republic. 13K/14.2IP! It's a start.

Jeong-Hyeon Yoon, 22 (intl) From South Korea, second season in GCL. 14H/25.1IP 32K/9BB 1.20 ERA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great post. I share the same concern. Some guys worth watching at short season and below, but not much else. Most of the talent has been traded away by DD.

Gonzalez has been a huge disappointment at Delmarva.

Miranda is one to watch for sure. Tanner Scott also.

This is a great post. I share the same concern. Some guys worth watching at short season and below, but not much else. Most of the talent has been traded away by DD.

Gonzalez has been a huge disappointment at Delmarva.

Miranda is one to watch for sure. Tanner Scott also.

Scott is magnificent.

I would not get too down on Brian Gonzalez. He's had some ups and downs as a 19 year old in his first season of full season ball. He's had some good starts.
I was thinking that myself the last start. He has years to improve.

Anyone on the list have the potential of being even a back-end starter (besides TJ)?

I think we have to give Ariel Miranda more time to develop. I want to see Chris Jones up in September. His numbers (not peripherals) have been pretty good as a starter the past two seasons at AAA. He is certainly a possibility.

It's good to have a lefty in the rotation but we've all seen how we have to skip Chen versus certain teams. Like the Tigers and Jays. Well we should. A lefty in the rotation isn't a must. It would be nice to have a guy that could spot start though when we have a favorable match up. This is doubtful but maybe we work out a 2 year deal with Matusz to knock down his arb number and try him out as a starter. Put some incentives in there. As far as minors we have a good bunch of potential LH bullpen guys.

Miranda

Mac

Cabral

Berry

Jones

McCoy

In terms of ceiling for the big club. I can't really rank the guys below AA because we don't know who will remain a starter yet. I trust that DD will be able to find some AAA depth to come in and compete for the 5th spot in the rotation next year. Or a MLB guy looking to build his value back up. Without getting into too much MLB talk I think Jaime Garcia from St.Louis would be a nice fit. Sinkerballer with our defense is a good combo.

LHP Daniel Ayers has a 1.86 era over his last 10 outings in Aberdeen. 10 ks and 0 walks in his last 6 ip. Looks like he is starting to find his groove.

IIRC he was a pretty big recruit with a commitment to IU? It would be nice to see him put it all together. This year would have been just his soph year in college.

Archived