STARTING PITCHING: Potential Help from AAA-Norfolk and AA-Bowie

OFFNY

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The poor pitching options are partially because of misfortune(injuries to Bundy and Harvey), bad decisions which seemed reasonable at the time(Arrietta and Strop and Simon), a trade that only briefly made us better( EROD) and just poor drafting.We are now painfully thin at SP and will likely lose Chen in the offseason.The Orioles will have to spend on corner outfielders and at least try to bid on Davis' services( 20-22 mil a year) . They will not want to spend what it takes to get a TOR starter so for the rest of this year and for the immediate future, things are looking "challenging" to say the least.

In my opinion, we have to sign a free agent starter who is as good or better than Chen. If they don't do that, we may as well go into full rebuild mode, because we won't have a competitive rotation next year.

o

I suspect that of these 4 pitchers, Gunkel and Miranda are our best long-term options.

They may not be quite ready for the big show right this minute though, and we need help now.

I was about to respond to you sir, I agree with you assessment. I don't think either helps us but those 2 are our best hopes. Maybe Steve Johnson bud doubtful.

I was about to respond to you sir, I agree with you assessment. I don't think either helps us but those 2 are our best hopes. Maybe Steve Johnson bud doubtful.

Steve Johnson has been a reliever all year long. He is not a starting option.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

o

I suspect that of these 4 pitchers, Gunkel and Miranda are our best long-term options.

They may not be quite ready for the big show right this minute though, and we need help now.

Yeah, I think that Gunkel may be good for the Orioles' rotation in 2017 and beyond, particularly because he is only 23.

Miranda is a bit of a wildcard at 26, and considering that he has pitched strictly in Cuba prior to this season.

Doyle and Jones would probably at best be stop-gap guys because of their age (Doyle 29, Jones 26), and the fact that they are both career minor leaguers ....... but that mat be all we need right now.

If we could squeeze a few decent spot starts from one or both of them (Doyle and/or Jones), that could go a long way in bridging the gap until September 1st, when we can expand the roster. It would also give a much-needed break to Miguel Gonzalez. Maybe if he misses a few starts, it could re-energize his battery and/or help him heal any minor injury(s) that he might be dealing with.

I am not as negative on this as some. Option Gonzalez for 10 days. Let him rest. He will come back stronger.

I don't know which one of these 4 is the right choice. I am fine with whoever Dan and Buck pick. That pitcher gets two starts. Then the roster expands, the O's add several relievers to spread the workload, Wright and Wilson should be back before too long.

As far as next year. Tillman (3.34 ERA), Gonzalez (3.23 ERA) and Gausman (3.57 ERA) had good years in 2014. Jimenez is a 4th starter. The O's have Wright and Wilson plus these four guys and Dan has 40M to spend.

The pitching staff looks managable to me. Both short and long term.

Yeah, I think that Gunkel may be good for the Orioles' rotation in 2017 and beyond, particularly because he is only 23.

Miranda is a bit of a wildcard at 26, and considering that he pitched strictly in Cuba prior to this season.

Doyle and Jones would probably at best be stop-gap guys because of their age (Doyle 29, Jones 26), and the fact that they are both career minor leaguers ....... but that mat be all we need right now.

If we could squeeze a few decent spot starts from one or both of them (Doyle and/or Jones), that could go a long way in bridging the gap until September 1st, when we can expand the rosters. It would also give a much-needed break to Miguel Gonzalez. Maybe if he misses a few starts, it could re-energize his battery and/or help him heal any minor injury(s) that he might be dealing with.

I wonder how hard Doyle would get hit here. My guess between those 2: they would go Jones.

I am not as negative on this as some. Option Gonzalez for 10 days. Let him rest. He will come back stronger.

I don't know which one of these 4 is the right choice. I am fine with whoever Dan and Buck pick. That pitcher gets two starts. Then the roster expands, the O's add several relievers to spread the workload, Wright and Wilson should be back before too long.

As far as next year. Tillman (3.34 ERA), Gonzalez (3.23 ERA) and Gausman (3.57 ERA) had good years in 2014. Jimenez is a 4th starter. The O's have Wright and Wilson plus these three guys and Dan has 40M to spend.

The pitching staff looks managable to me. Both short and long tern.

This year concerns me more than next. Good post.

Do you think they will actually option MGon? I agree with you, some rest might help (it can't hurt).

Archived