Mancini a finalist for Minor League Player of the Year

wildcard

According to Roch:

Double-A Bowie first baseman Trey Mancini has been named one of five finalists for USA Today's minor league Player of the Year. He joins infielder A.J. Reed (Astros), left-hander Blake Snell (Rays), right-hander Michael Fulmer (Tigers) and outfielder Adam Bret Walker (Twins).

The winner will be announced next month.

Mancini, 23, has batted a combined .335 with 37 doubles, six triples, 18 home runs and 81 RBIs between Single-A Frederick and Bowie. He was named the Carolina League's Player of the Month for May and the Eastern League's Player of the Week on June 21.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/08/orioles-outright-nolan-reimold.html

Stiff competition. Here's there milb stats

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=605483#/career/R/pitching/2015/ALL

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=607223#/career/R/hitting/2015/ALL

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=605242#/career/R/pitching/2015/ALL

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=608724#/career/R/hitting/2015/ALL

According to mlbpipeline.com

Snell 45th MLB TB 2nd

AJ Reed 99th Astros 5th

Fulmer Det 3rd-traded from Mets for Cespedes

Walker Twins 10th. 179 K's. But big power.

Good company considering these guys were all drafted in rounds higher than Mancini. I see Snell or Reed winning. Mancini has carried Bowie to a playoff spot though.

Something strange going on here.

Mancini is ranked as the 12th best prospect by Orioles.com in a mid year ranking. Now, a month later he is ranked in the top 5 in all of the minors?

The O's farm system has been ranked near the bottom of the 30 teams. Now they have a 1-5 candidate, Bundy at 48 and Harvey at 68.

Mancini is ranked as the 12th best prospect by Orioles.com in a mid year ranking. Now, a month later he is ranked in the top 5 in all of the minors?

The O's farm system has been ranked near the bottom of the 30 teams. Now they have a 1-5 candidate, Bundy at 48 and Harvey at 68.

I think "Player of the Year" and prospect rankings are two entirely different things.

The strange thing is that the O's will have the same players they have now but popular ranking sites will have them ranked higher. So the O's go from a terrible farm system, that can't draft, develop arms, or sign top flight Dominican talent, to suddenly ranked in the middle of the pack. It's impossible for these publications to see all these players. In fact, scouts can't. That's why you see so many late round gems. There's just so many players. For such a terrible system we have Bundy, Harvey, Sisco, Reyes, Mancini, all with chances of being ranked in the top 100. Add in Miranda and Alvarez as cuban signees.

I don't agree. All these guys are 22 or 23 year old. High draft choices. Walker is the lowest of the four. He is 23 years old, a 3rd round draft choice with 29 HR and 100 RBI at AA.

There's so much more that determines prospect status than minor league stats. Snell is the only one of these guys who could maybe be a top prospect along the lines of Corey Seager, Julio Urias, J.P. Crawford, Nomar Mazara, etc. The rest are all guys with possible big league futures, but real questions over upside/probability/whatever else. It's well established that I like Mancini as much as anyone, but he's not a top five prospect in baseball. That's silly. These five guys are the guys with the best minor league numbers. That means they put up good numbers in the minor leagues and nothing more.

There's so much more that determines prospect status than minor league stats. Snell is the only one of these guys who could maybe be a top prospect along the lines of Corey Seager, Julio Urias, J.P. Crawford, Nomar Mazara, etc. The rest are all guys with possible big league futures, but real questions over upside/probability/whatever else. It's well established that I like Mancini as much as anyone, but he's not a top five prospect in baseball. That's silly. These five guys are the guys with the best minor league numbers. That means they put up good numbers in the minor leagues and nothing more.

Nothing makes a prospect advance in the ranking like being young and having a outstanding year at the higher levels of the minors.

It also helps if that prospect was drafted high which most of these guys were. Mancini wasn't but he is in pretty good company at this point.

Nothing makes a prospect advance in the ranking like being young and having a outstanding year at the higher levels of the minors.

It also helps if that prospect was drafted high which most of these guys were. Mancini wasn't but he is in pretty good company at this point.

Okay, but you said he was potentially a 1-5 guy and you're refusing to admit that you were in any way mistaken. It's getting old.

Okay, but you said he was potentially a 1-5 guy and you're refusing to admit that you were in any way mistaken. It's getting old.

Yes, I guess I am mixing Player of the Year and Top Prospect. You have a point. But Mancini being mentioned as one of the top players in the minors is quite a jump from where he started the year. Interesting to see what his ceiling may be. I guess we will have to wait to see how he comes out on the prospect lists.

Just going off memory but I think there are 2 first rounders, 1 2nd and 1 3rd, and these guys aren't too old for their leagues. So it's not like they are some journeyman in the PCL putting up big numbers. Other than being on some baseball america prospect sheets this is really the first national attention Mancini has gotten this year. I think we'll be seeing a lot more in the offseason. He's going to win some awards. He's basically a lock to make mlb pipelines top 10 first basemen list. He'll be in our top 5, and he could be in some top 100 lists. I'd like to see him get some AB's in Baltimore this year so I can watch him live until I'm forced to boxscore scout him in that pitcher's park in Norfolk.

Archived