Atlanta Fan Dies from Fall at Stadium

TonySoprano

Please no ARod remarks, it wouldn't be appropriate. Prayers for the victim's family.

A fan died after falling from the upper deck of Turner Field during the seventh inning of Saturday's night's New York Yankees-Atlanta Braves game, police said.

The fan was identified by the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office on Sunday morning as 60-year-old Gregory K. Murrey. A native of Alpharetta, Georgia, Murrey will undergo an autopsy later Sunday, according to the medical examiner's office.

Murrey was given emergency medical treatment at Turner Field and was taken away on a stretcher after falling. He was pronounced dead at Grady Memorial Hospital.

According to witnesses seated in Section 401 behind home plate, Murrey was screaming at Alex Rodriguez, who had been sent up as a pinch hitter by the Yankees, when he suddenly lost his balance and fell approximately 50 feet to the concrete below, striking a railing on the way down.

There was blood left on the surface around the seats after Murrey was put on a backboard. A group of stadium medical personnel treated him for about 10 minutes, performing CPR. As the medical workers worked in a circle around Murrey, security officers cleared the area. The game continued as medical personnel attended to Murrey.

A witness said Braves representatives came around in the eighth inning to check on fans and offered them seats in suites, away from where Murrey fell.

A witness who asked not to be identified said she was seated a row in front of Murrey when he began shouting at Rodriguez.

"All of a sudden, he just flew right over the rail,'' she said. "I can't even function right now.''

source - ESPN

It seems safety at ball games will be a hotly discussed topic this winter.

I know not on this topic, but Phillies are putting up more netting because of foul balls. I was watching BBTN and one of the analysts made a good point that while fans can be inattentive, teams arent helping when they tell people to Instagram pictures for the main board and stuff like that.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

From what I read, the guy was belligerent and drunk the whole game. Standing on the railing to make sure ARod heard his idiotic taunts. Tell me how this isn't as bad as drunk driving?

Putting himself and others at risk for stupidity. I'm just glad there wasn't anyone below him. That would have been the real tragedy.

From what I read, the guy was belligerent and drunk the whole game. Standing on the railing to make sure ARod heard his idiotic taunts. Tell me how this isn't as bad as drunk driving?

Putting himself and others at risk for stupidity. I'm just glad there wasn't anyone below him. That would have been the real tragedy.

If he was drunk, then the vendors could have cut him off earlier in the game. Having said that, the ushers are focused on making the quick sale at $8.75 a can and moving right along to the next customer. As long as that's how the vendors want to operate, the "beer man" can not be expected to do a sobriety check. At Camden Yards, the vendors, at least in the bleachers, are running non-stop, often two at a time from before the game until the 7th inning. It's been a long-running complaint of mine that those are the only beverages sold in that way at the ballpark. If you want a soda or water, get up and go over to Boogs or another Eutaw Street stand. Period.

Will this event lead baseball to examine it's practice of how their vendors operate? Not a chance. Baseball is an event, get the party started and keep the beer flowing. There's a lot of money in selling a can of beer at the price of a six-pack outside the stadium. After all, you can thank the "beer man" for bringing in the money so the teams can afford to sign (or not sign) those big free agents.

If he was drunk, then the vendors could have cut him off earlier in the game. Having said that, the ushers are focused on making the quick sale at $8.75 a can and moving right along to the next customer. As long as that's how the vendors want to operate, the "beer man" can not be expected to do a sobriety check. At Camden Yards, the vendors, at least in the bleachers, are running non-stop, often two at a time from before the game until the 7th inning. It's been a long-running complaint of mine that those are the only beverages sold in that way at the ballpark. If you want a soda or water, get up and go over to Boogs or another Eutaw Street stand. Period.

Will this event lead baseball to examine it's practice of how their vendors operate? Not a chance. Baseball is an event, get the party started and keep the beer flowing. There's a lot of money in selling a can of beer at the price of a six-pack outside the stadium. After all, you can thank the "beer man" for bringing in the money so the teams can afford to sign (or not sign) those big free agents.

Of course it is possible that he was inebriated before he arrived and/or brought in his own alcohol.

I'm not saying change the alcohol policies. I'm just saying I don't feel bad for the guy. I'm glad nobody was injured or killed by him.

The only thing you could do going forward is have the ushers identify these people and toss them.

Of course it is possible that he was inebriated before he arrived and/or brought in his own alcohol.
If he was inebriated before he arrived, would he have remained that way into the 7th inning unless he had more beer during the game? My assumption is, like Baltimore, Atlanta doesn't allow you to bring alcohol into the stadium, but I could be wrong.
I'm not saying change the alcohol policies. I'm just saying I don't feel bad for the guy. I'm glad nobody was injured or killed by him.

The only thing you could do going forward is have the ushers identify these people and toss them.

I do feel bad for the guy and his family. Dying the way he did was careless, but I've heard of countless stories of "Darwin Award" winners much worse than this.

In Baltimore, the crowd is largely left to police itself. If someone gets out of line, send a text message to the Orioles. That is the tradeoff from having heavy-handed ushers which had been known to work the Yard in the past.

I think the only thing the ballparks could do is to cut off beer sales earlier, but it will take a lot more incidents like the one in Atlanta before they explore that avenue. Fortunately, these occurrences are very rare.

If he was inebriated before he arrived, would he have remained that way into the 7th inning unless he had more beer during the game? My assumption is, like Baltimore, Atlanta doesn't allow you to bring alcohol into the stadium, but I could be wrong.

I do feel bad for the guy and his family. Dying the way he did was careless, but I've heard of countless stories of "Darwin Award" winners much worse than this.

In Baltimore, the crowd is largely left to police itself. If someone gets out of line, send a text message to the Orioles. That is the tradeoff from having heavy-handed ushers which had been known to work the Yard in the past.

I think the only thing the ballparks could do is to cut off beer sales earlier, but it will take a lot more incidents like the one in Atlanta before they explore that avenue. Fortunately, these occurrences are very rare.

I am quite sure that if someone has the inclination they can get booze into a game.

Of course I never liked the idea of having an untrained, generally harried, person be the judge on when someone else has had enough.

The loss of life, any life, under these circumstances is tragic.

Drunk or not, he didn't deserve to die.

My prayers to his family and friends.

MSK

I appreciate that. But I do always take a pause when someone endangers the lives of others. I am glad that no one else was injured.

Terrible situation. RIP.

The beer will still flow so there's no changing that. Maybe some netting that extended out from the upper deck would prevent help prevent this? Maybe an app where you could report seat numbers of fans that are becoming disorderly or showing signs of being a nuisance? Either way, I think it's time to give the ARod taunts a rest. I'm not a fan either but he did his time.

Here's the Golden Gate Bridges suicide barrier.

Golden-gate-4.jpg

A fan, who didn't want to be named, in section 401, told NJ Advance Media the victim was apparently drunk and was screaming at the Yankees when A-Rod came to bat. The fan said the victim flew over her and her two sisters from a row behind her and barely touched them as he went.

The man was in the second row of section 401. It was almost as if he jumped, she said.

She said the victim had been acting belligerently drunk all game. There was still a large wet stain on the railing in section 401 from what she said was his drink. The fans in the area soon left their seats with security, and several rows from the section were cleared out.

<strike></strike>http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2015/08/fan_falls_two_decks_at_turner_field_during_yankees.html

I am quite sure that if someone has the inclination they can get booze into a game.
Oh, of course. I've been to dozens, if not hundreds, of college football games where alcohol was officially banned but half the crowd got drunk in parking lot and some significant fraction smuggled their own in to continue during the game. I was fascinated at my first game at University of South Carolina where they had police scanning the stands for booze, and an actual court under the stands to prosecute violators. That may be a little over-the-top.

Archived