Should we trade Britton in the offseason?

sportsfan8703

Britton is great and all but he's getting really expensive. We're going to have to give O'day closer money to resign, so why not just make him the closer. If we could get a quality SP or an everyday LF/RF it would be worth it. We're really good at manufacturing bullpen performances, and we have a ton of MLB ready pieces to fill out a pen.

Givens

Brach

Wright

Drake

Roe

Rondon

S.Johnson

Only so many of these relievers can impact a single game. If we were to deal the most valuable one to improve our rotation or lineup it would make the most sense.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britton is great and all but he's getting really expensive. We're going to have to give O'day closer money to resign, so why not just make him the closer. If we could get a quality SP or an everyday LF/RF it would be worth it. We're really good at manufacturing bullpen performances, and we have a ton of MLB ready pieces to fill out a pen.

Givens

Brach

Wright

Drake

Roe

Rondon

S.Johnson

Only so many of these relievers can impact a single game. If we were to deal the most valuable one to improve our rotation or lineup it would make the most sense.

Sure. Trade Manny, Jones, Britton, Schoop, and Gausman. Go full Marlin/Astro.

I don't think trading Zach Britton if you get a good return comes close to equating to that. He is a closer, to matter a closer has to have a team around him that gives him something to close. If this team does not have that, then Zach is wasted here.

You only trade him if you get a return that justifies that. IF you can get a good corner OF that is young and under team control for a package that is highlighted by your closer, then that is something you have to consider. You don't give him away

Who said that? I'm talking about trading a guy that pitches 70 IP a year for a SP that can go 200ish. Or a position player that can play full time in LF/RF. For a team that has limited resources and a lot of holes to fill, Britton is a luxury. Closer has been historically a position that teams will overpay for. Let's say the Mets blow some big leads down the stretch or in the playoffs. Maybe they'd be willing to part with S.Matz.

Trade them all. Trade one, trade all.

Now your just being downright silly. How does trading a closer like Zach lead you to believe we should trade Manny, Schoop, Jones and KG. It's an utterly childish response .... not sure how that response or condescending attitude (as if anyone who thinks we should is stupid) towards whats a valid question makes one iota of sense. I expect that from some....not you. Why bother responding if all your gonna do is insult people

Now your just being downright silly. How does trading a closer like Zach lead you to believe we should trade Manny, Schoop, Jones and KG. It's an utterly childish response .... not sure how that response or condescending attitude (as if anyone who thinks we should is stupid) towards whats a valid question makes one iota of sense. I expect that from some....not you. Why bother responding if all your gonna do is insult people

I think that trading Zach a year too early makes the value of the others quite a bit lower. Since you won't be competing while they are active as Orioles.

I was not being condescending. Sorry if I came off that way. I might be silly with my theory, but certainly not childish. I just figure you trade Zach, you might as well trade the rest of the guys on big contracts that are under control for three years or less. I guess you could keep Schoop. And I never said you were stupid. Ever.

I don't think trading Zach Britton if you get a good return comes close to equating to that. He is a closer, to matter a closer has to have a team around him that gives him something to close. If this team does not have that, then Zach is wasted here.

You only trade him if you get a return that justifies that. IF you can get a good corner OF that is young and under team control for a package that is highlighted by your closer, then that is something you have to consider. You don't give him away

I was being half serious. You could get a lot for that grouping. You could be right where the Astros are in five years.

Who said that? I'm talking about trading a guy that pitches 70 IP a year for a SP that can go 200ish. Or a position player that can play full time in LF/RF. For a team that has limited resources and a lot of holes to fill, Britton is a luxury. Closer has been historically a position that teams will overpay for. Let's say the Mets blow some big leads down the stretch or in the playoffs. Maybe they'd be willing to part with S.Matz.

Zach Britton has not cleared waivers. He can not be traded right now.

I think that trading Zach a year too early makes the value of the others quite a bit lower. Since you won't be competing while they are active as Orioles.

If you do not fill your holes and improve this team then your not competing anyway. I get what your saying but of the group of guys we have that could be coveted by other teams and bring back value (AJ, Schoop, KG, Manny and Britton) I tend to think that Zach is the one guy you can move and have a pieces in place who could pick up that slack. Givens looks legit, we have a number of guys who look like they could be good pen arms (Wright, Drake, Miranda, Wilson etc). So trading Zach who is coming off an amazing year and is pretty close to his max value, makes some sense but only if you get a guy who you can plug in for a few years to come.

If you do not fill your holes and improve this team then your not competing anyway. I get what your saying but of the group of guys we have that could be coveted by other teams and bring back value (AJ, Schoop, KG, Manny and Britton) I tend to think that Zach is the one guy you can move and have a pieces in place who could pick up that slack. Givens looks legit, we have a number of guys who look like they could be good pen arms (Wright, Drake, Miranda, Wilson etc). So trading Zach who is coming off an amazing year and is pretty close to his max value, makes some sense but only if you get a guy who you can plug in for a few years to come.

I am ok with these comments. You have a right to this theory. I think you overvalue what you could get back.

Zach Britton has not cleared waivers. He can not be traded right now.

Condescending reply number 2 towards me. I can take it. But when I give back I get put on probation. We're obviously still talking about trading him in the offseason. I was naming the mets as an example of a team that might overpay for him if they blow a bunch of leads down the stretch.

Archived