Word on Andrew Triggs?

Aristotelian

Picked up from the Royals for cash considerations. Pitching as closer for the Baysox. 1.10 ERA, 1.73 BB/9, 9.94 K/9. Is anyone keeping an eye on this guy? Stuff? Makeup? Timetable to MLB? I am guessing Drake starts with the O's in 2016 if his callup goes well. Would that make Triggs the Norfolk closer, with a chance to make it to the O's at the end of the year?

Picked up from the Royals for cash considerations. Pitching as closer for the Baysox. 1.10 ERA, 1.73 BB/9, 9.94 K/9. Is anyone keeping an eye on this guy? Stuff? Makeup? Timetable to MLB? I am guessing Drake starts with the O's in 2016 if his callup goes well. Would that make Triggs the Norfolk closer, with a chance to make it to the O's at the end of the year?

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/usc/post/_/id/2094/triggs-draft-prospects-complicated-by-shoulder-injury

He was, at that time, nearly a perfect prospect, ranked the 38th overall player for Monday's draft (3 p.m. PT, MLB Network) according to Baseball America.

Why? Triggs had what every pro team looks for in a prospect: a dominant pitch — in his case a hard sinking fastball that allows him to pile up quick outs in a Brandon Webb-esque manner. Talk to pro scouts and a consensus emerges — give us one great pitch and we'll develop the rest.

True to form, Triggs' following had only grown midway through the season. Despite a disappointing win-loss record, he was nearly duplicating his earned-run average numbers from his redshirt freshman season as the Trojans' Friday starter, regularly matching up against some of the best college pitchers in the nation and holding his own.

Courtesy USCTrojans.com

USC right-hander Andrew Triggs is trying to prove to major-league teams that the sore shoulder that sidelined him for the end of the Trojans' 2010 season won't prevent him from utilizing his heralded sinking fastball at the next level.

Then came the injury, suffered on the last of April at home against Arizona, a team now playing in the postseason in the NCAA Regionals. Triggs had perhaps his best start of the season (seven innings, three hits, no runs) before exiting and earning the win, only his second on the year.

That was the last time he would pitch for the Trojans in 2010. Sometime between that start and his next scheduled start — against Utah a week later — the 6-foot-3, 210-pound Triggs came down with a sore throwing shoulder. He was held out of action against the Utes and against UCLA the next weekend while waiting on an official diagnosis, leaving USC extremely short-handed on pitching.

Only after the season did an MRI exam reveal the true problem: minor inflammation of the rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder.

He's 26 years old and has pitched 1 game above AA, so I don't think he has a timetable to the majors. Probably a good guy to have as depth - just in case there's multiple injuries and failures in the ML bullpen. Of course, I could be wrong - he has great stats and started late in the minors.

RHP Andrew Triggs (AA Bowie - BAL): Triggs has been impeccable this season. He has a 0.64 ERA and a 0.90 WHIP with opponents hitting just .193 against him in 42.1 innings. He is also a perfect 9-for-9 on save opportunities after collecting another one in a perfect inning with two strikeouts on Wednesday.

http://www.scout.com/college/usc/story/1566560-back-to-the-minors-usc-baseball-checkup

He's 26 years old and has pitched 1 game above AA, so I don't think he has a timetable to the majors. Probably a good guy to have as depth - just in case there's multiple injuries and failures in the ML bullpen.

College guy, Shoulder injuries. Has obviously regained some health at this late date.

He's 26 years old and has pitched 1 game above AA, so I don't think he has a timetable to the majors. Probably a good guy to have as depth - just in case there's multiple injuries and failures in the ML bullpen. Of course, I could be wrong - he has great stats and started late in the minors.

He was called up by the KC AAA team to pitch in the post season last year. He got a save in the last regular season game and made 3 appearances in the playoffs, pitching four innings, with no runs, one save, one walk, one hit, and five Ks. BAA was .077. He pitched the 7th and 8th inning in the AAA Championship game against Pawtucket with 4 Ks, 1 single, and 0 BB. He's a Trojan! Fight On!

College guy, Shoulder injuries. Has obviously regained some health at this late date.

Sinkerballer, former friday night starter for a big college program. We're putting the pieces together throughout this thread on this dude. Looks like another guy we acquired because he was going to have to be added to the 40 man because he is going to be rule 5 eligible. DD acquired Chris Lee and Richard Rodgriguez from Houston for the same reasons.

My opinion is that he and Drake are in similar positions. Both are milb vet pitchers that have dominated at that level. Both can be stored in AAA and have options. The question is do we take the risk and leave him exposed in the rule 5?

Archived