Gausman and Wieters

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again' date=' Winters catches for him and it goes badly. Why are we doing this? Kevin is part of the future. At least let him pitch to who will be catching him more in the future, Joseph or Clevenger.[/quote']

Wieters was the 5th pick, a can't miss stud baseball player. Offense, defense and a smart baseball guy. Why did he fall? Or are the Orioles driving his price down or knowing they can't sign him ignoring him?

Once again' date=' Winters catches for him and it goes badly. Why are we doing this? Kevin is part of the future. At least let him pitch to who will be catching him more in the future, Joseph or Clevenger.[/quote']

I also noticed that in almost all of Gausman's starts Chris Davis is playing first base. Shouldn't they be setting him up for the future by playing a first basemen he'll have behind him in 2016? Why keep doing what's not working? His 1ERA (or is it FERA?) with Davis has to be pretty poor.

I also noticed that in almost all of Gausman's starts Chris Davis is playing first base. Shouldn't they be setting him up for the future by playing a first basemen he'll have behind him in 2016? Why keep doing what's not working? His 1ERA (or is it FERA?) with Davis has to be pretty poor.
:drungo:

Thanks for the laugher, this morning.

Thanks for dismissing my question. I assume then that the catcher has NOTHING to do with how well the pitcher performs.

I would like to see evidence that the catcher's impact on a pitcher's performance is large, and quantifiable. No one dismisses the idea that catchers have an impact. But idea that there are huge differences in runs allowed based on the catcher is not supported by any solid evidence I know of. If you take CERA at face value you'll come to the conclusion that good defensive catchers are easily the most valuable players in baseball, and a poor defensive catcher is kind of like having a terrible defensive shortstop who hits .157.

I'm not saying it's "quantifiable", but a lot of things in sports aren't. Team chemistry isn't. Relationship with managers aren't. Superstition isn't. I am not saying Joseph is a better catcher than Wieters. I just think Gausman is more comfortable with him. And that might not be quantifiable, but I think it matters. How many here have said Arrieta's problems were in his head. I don't know where to find it, but I bet Gausman has more quality starts with Joseph than with Wieters.

I'm not saying it's "quantifiable"' date=' but a lot of things in sports aren't. Team chemistry isn't. Relationship with managers aren't. Superstition isn't. I am not saying Joseph is a better catcher than Wieters. I just think Gausman is more comfortable with him. And that might not be quantifiable, but I think it matters. How many here have said Arrieta's problems were in his head. I don't know where to find it, but I bet Gausman has more quality starts with Joseph than with Wieters.[/quote']

I think Joseph calls a better game than Wieters, but to say Gausman's struggles are Wieters' fault is going overboard.

I would like to see evidence that the catcher's impact on a pitcher's performance is large, and quantifiable. No one dismisses the idea that catchers have an impact. But idea that there are huge differences in runs allowed based on the catcher is not supported by any solid evidence I know of. If you take CERA at face value you'll come to the conclusion that good defensive catchers are easily the most valuable players in baseball, and a poor defensive catcher is kind of like having a terrible defensive shortstop who hits .157.

I emailed w one FO guy a couple of weeks ago who was working on massively ramping up his orgs work on identifying certain aspects of catchers defensive contributions. I think the fact that teams are spending lots of money on this is evidence that the idea isn't crazy, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I emailed w one FO guy a couple of weeks ago who was working on massively ramping up his orgs work on identifying certain aspects of catchers defensive contributions. I think the fact that teams are spending lots of money on this is evidence that the idea isn't crazy, no?

Of course it's not crazy. I'd expect that to happen. What I take issue with is the argument that Joe Smith has a 3.00 ERA with Fred catching, and a 5.00 ERA with Wayne catching, so Fred is worth two runs a game. The reality is there's so much noise in the CERA data that you probably need to regress that number by so much that the reality is more like 3.50 for Fred and 3.60 for Wayne. Or it might even be the case that Wayne is better.

I'm not saying it's "quantifiable"' date=' but a lot of things in sports aren't. Team chemistry isn't. Relationship with managers aren't. Superstition isn't. I am not saying Joseph is a better catcher than Wieters. I just think Gausman is more comfortable with him. And that might not be quantifiable, but I think it matters. How many here have said Arrieta's problems were in his head. I don't know where to find it, but I bet Gausman has more quality starts with Joseph than with Wieters.[/quote']

What I'm saying is that fans notice Gausman has pitched better with Joseph, assume he's more comfortable with Joseph, advocate that Joseph should be his personal catcher. But the reality is that almost all of the difference was in quality of opponent, and park effects, and time of year, and other stuff unrelated to the catcher.

I kinda think the poster has a bit of point though not just Matt catching Gausman but I would like to see him catching a bit less and have Clevenger catch some games. Matt most likely will not be back and getting Clevenger some starts with the starters would seem like a good idea.

What I'm saying is that fans notice Gausman has pitched better with Joseph, assume he's more comfortable with Joseph, advocate that Joseph should be his personal catcher. But the reality is that almost all of the difference was in quality of opponent, and park effects, and time of year, and other stuff unrelated to the catcher.

I also think that he has more "comfort" with Joseph because in the majors and minors, he has caught more for him.

Archived