Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

o

Welcome to senior citizenship, Mr. Alexander.

Alexander was a pretty good pitcher for the Orioles in the early-to-mid 70's, and later became a very good pitcher for several other teams.

He was involved in an integral trade in Orioles history in June of 1976, a trade which netted the Orioles Rudy May, Tippy Martinez, Scott McGregor, and eventual World Series MVP Rick Dempsey.

That trade was part of the reason why the Orioles were able to have such an unexpectedly good season in 1977 in spite of losing Reggie Jackson to free agency (they went 97-64 with 1 rainout), and also helped them to continue being a perennial contender through the 1985 season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alexado01.shtml

And of course long after he left Baltimore he was involved in one of the great/infamous deadline deals of all time, when he was swapped for a pre-MLB debut John Smoltz. Alexander went 9-0 for the Tigers down the stretch*, helping them make the postseason where they were quickly dispatched by the Twins. And then he finished off his career with a couple more okay years in Detroit. But Smoltz spent almost his entire career on the dynastic Braves, putting together a HOF career worth ~80 fWAR. By fWAR the Tigers lost the trade 80-6. Or if you just count the six pre-free agency years of Smoltz' career it was more like 20-6.

* Alexander was 5-10, 4.13 for the Braves, 9-0, 1.53 for the Tigers. But you could make the case that he really didn't pitch that much differently after the trade. His K and BB numbers actually got worse with the Tigers, but his BABIP went down 30 points and for whatever reason his homer rate fell off the side of the planet. At the time the story was written up as an almost heroic, gutty pitching performance leading the Tigers into the postseason.

And of course long after he left Baltimore he was involved in one of the great/infamous deadline deals of all time, when he was swapped for a pre-MLB debut John Smoltz. Alexander went 9-0 for the Tigers down the stretch*, helping them make the postseason where they were quickly dispatched by the Twins. And then he finished off his career with a couple more okay years in Detroit. But Smoltz spent almost his entire career on the dynastic Braves, putting together a HOF career worth ~80 fWAR. By fWAR the Tigers lost the trade 80-6. Or if you just count the six pre-free agency years of Smoltz' career it was more like 20-6.

* Alexander was 5-10, 4.13 for the Braves, 9-0, 1.53 for the Tigers. But you could make the case that he really didn't pitch that much differently after the trade. His K and BB numbers actually got worse with the Tigers, but his BABIP went down 30 points and for whatever reason his homer rate fell off the side of the planet. At the time the story was written up as an almost heroic, gutty pitching performance leading the Tigers into the postseason.

The version I read was that Alexander was dogging it with the Braves because he was unhappy with his contract.

o

(vs. METS, 9/11)

Markakis hit his 35th double of the season tonight.

35 doubles, a .372 OBP, and the Braves still have 20 games left to be played.

Pretty good for a lead-off hitter.

And yet, he's only scored 61 runs. Atlanta's offense is pretty feeble.

I really regret that Nick didn't cave on the 4th year and sign here. I miss him and I think he would have been a good fit on this team, which has plenty of power but needs baserunners.

And yet, he's only scored 61 runs. Atlanta's offense is pretty feeble.

I really regret that Nick didn't cave on the 4th year and sign here. I miss him and I think he would have been a good fit on this team, which has plenty of power but needs baserunners.

I agree. A lot. But it is what it is. Shame.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Pirates just hung a 5 spot on Zach Davies</p>— Alan (@CamdenFanatic) <a href="

">September 13, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>