Trey Mancini Wins Eastern League Batting Title!

Slade-OH

BOWIE, Md. - Baysox first baseman Trey Mancini has won the 2015 Eastern League Batting Title. Mancini, who was previously named May Player of the Month by both the Carolina League and the Baltimore Orioles Player Development staff, is the first Baysox player to win the batting title since Lou Montanez in 2008.

Mancini finished the season batting .359 (117-326), but he was 29 plate appearances shy of the 383 needed to qualify for the award. Per Rule 9.22(a), Mancini took an 0-for-29 to reach the required number of plate appearances. He then won the batting title hitting .330 (117-355), beating out Altoona?s Adam Frazier, who hit .324 (122-377). The final .330 batting average for Mancini is the third-highest in a single season in franchise history.

In 84 games with the Baysox in 2015, Mancini hit .359 with 29 doubles, 13 home runs and 57 RBI. In 136 combined games between High-A Frederick and Bowie, Mancini hit .375 with 43 doubles, 21 home runs and 89 RBI.

Baysox Baseball - We'll Knock Your 'Sox Off. The 2015 Baysox have clinched a spot in the Eastern League playoffs. Don?t miss your chance to see the Baysox make a run at their first ever Eastern League Championship. Single game tickets for the Baysox first home game Friday, Sep. 11 are available now at baysox.com

BOWIE, Md. - Baysox first baseman Trey Mancini has won the 2015 Eastern League Batting Title. Mancini, who was previously named May Player of the Month by both the Carolina League and the Baltimore Orioles Player Development staff, is the first Baysox player to win the batting title since Lou Montanez in 2008.

Mancini finished the season batting .359 (117-326), but he was 29 plate appearances shy of the 383 needed to qualify for the award. Per Rule 9.22(a), Mancini took an 0-for-29 to reach the required number of plate appearances. He then won the batting title hitting .330 (117-355), beating out Altoona?s Adam Frazier, who hit .324 (122-377).

That is quite impressive. By my calculation, he could have been charged with 0 for 35 and still won the batting title.

I have never laid eyes on the guy, but it's hard for me to get too worried about his bat speed when he is putting up numbers like this.

And tell me again why we can't see him in 2015 just for a few at bats?

I saw him in Myrtle Beach. He hit a monster homer off the top of the centerfield back screen and had two other ringing hits- he looked like he was a man playing with boys. Trey is a BEAST. All the pooh-poohing going on is just that. He is going to be huge. I think- Paul Goldschmidt type- huge.

And tell me again why we can't see him in 2015 just for a few at bats?

The main reason is that we'd have to put him on the 40-man roster, and then use up his first option sending him down to AAA next year. That would be a foolish thing to do just to get him a handful of at bats in the majors.

Depending on the offseason moves, I give him a decent chance of making the team. A mean a .359 AVG and .980 OPS in AA is enough for me to give him a chance at 1B/DH.

He'll get a shot, but I'd still prefer to keep him off the 40-man unless he makes the team.

What is the typical BABIP of someone who hits .359?

Well, Rogers Hornsby had a career .358 BA and a .365 BABIP. Shoeless Joe Jackson had a .356 BA and .366 BABIP. So maybe Mancini would "only" have hit about .325 with a "normal" gap between BA and BABIP. Pretty hard to complain about his season.

Archived