48 Cedric Mullins

49 Jake Bray

50 Alejandro Juvier

51 Ademar Rifaela

52 Chris O'Brien

53 Drew Dosch

54 Jay Gonzalez

55 Yermin Mercedes

Questions, comments, accusations of bias welcome. I will note that this list is weighted more toward upside, most obviously in the placements of Scott and Leyva. Another note is that a lot of these placings, especially in the lower half, are pretty fungible; I wouldn't say I necessarily think Hart is a better prospect than Ferguson, for example, just that they're pretty close.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate you putting together this list - lot of thought went into this, clearly. I haven't seen most of these guys (seldom get out to see MiLB games), but religiously follow the comments of those more knowledgeable than I in the Minors section here.

The only potential beef I'd have is where you have Wilson - totally understand the upside element of your argument, and concur that his stuff isn't overpowering by any stretch. All that said, he's shown the ability to get big league hitters out, and I kind of get the impression he could be one of those guys that just knows how to pitch; by no means a top of the rotation guy, but a guy who could slot in at 4 or 5 (akin to a Miguel Gonzalez). I would think he'd be a bit higher (above, say, a Parker Bridwell). I get the argument that he's not as projectable, and that Bridwell apparently has a pretty nice arm. Just that he hasn't really shown any consistency.

Nitpicking from the cheap seats....thanks for pulling this together.

I think Stewart is getting a bit too big a bump from his draft status.

My ranking of Stewart has nothing to do with his draft status beyond it corroborating what I've seen myself.

Re: Wilson, yeah, he's the one guy I think I'm shortchanging. But I think Scott/Leyva have closer upside, and Bridwell still, to me, could be a no. 2 starter. And if Bridwell can't stick in a rotation (which I think is likely), I like him as a reliever more than I like Wilson as a reliever. It's hard to separate the two for me, and it really depends on the mood I'm in vis-a-vis upside vs. probability. If I were more bullish on Wilson's upside, he'd probably slot into the top ten, just ahead of Mancini. As it is, I think he's got a decent shot to be a no. 5 starter, but if I thought he could wind up as a no. 3 guy, that's where he'd be.

Re: Lee, high walk rates and low strikeout rates generally aren't a great combination. That, plus the fact that the Astros dealt him for cash, doesn't have me too enthralled with him. He could go a few places higher for sure, but I wouldn't have him in the top 20.

My ranking of Stewart has nothing to do with his draft status beyond it corroborating what I've seen myself.

Re: Wilson, yeah, he's the one guy I think I'm shortchanging. But I think Scott/Leyva have closer upside, and Bridwell still, to me, could be a no. 2 starter. And if Bridwell can't stick in a rotation (which I think is likely), I like him as a reliever more than I like Wilson as a reliever. It's hard to separate the two for me, and it really depends on the mood I'm in vis-a-vis upside vs. probability. If I were more bullish on Wilson's upside, he'd probably slot into the top ten, just ahead of Mancini. As it is, I think he's got a decent shot to be a no. 5 starter, but if I thought he could wind up as a no. 3 guy, that's where he'd be.

Fair enough. I have a tough time getting excited for Bridwell given the continued inconsistency and mediocre results, but I certainly get the upside argument with him. Love to see us harness his ability.

Thanks for the list, good stuff.

Obviously it's all subjective, only guy I'd majorly disagree with would be Heim. 4th round pick who I believe Buck and Brady both spoke very highly of. 46th just seems a bit low for me.

I can't envision Heim ever making consistent enough contact to hold down a big-league job. I love his defense but in the film I've seen, he hasn't shown the fluidity in the swing that I like to see to project a good hit tool. If he adds that, he rockets up the list.

Obviously you are seeing him in person and I am not, and I will certainly agree that is huge.

But I don't see how someone only suited to play LF/1B/DH that puts up a 218/288/345 line at an age appropriate level is a better prospect then someone like Mancini.

Obviously you are seeing him in person and I am not, and I will certainly agree that is huge.

But I don't see how someone only suited to play LF/1B/DH that puts up a 218/288/345 line at an age appropriate level is a better prospect then someone like Mancini.

I don't think that slash line is reflective of Stewart's true talent level. I think he'll put in a lot of work this offseason and hopefully will come out next season showing what I feel he can do.

Archived