vs. RED SOX, 9/15

OFFNY

o

THE 1976 ORIOLES

Lee May: Leads American League in RBI's (109)

Jim Palmer: Cy Young Winner (22-13, 2.51 ERA, 23 Complete Games, 6 Shutouts)

Reggie Jackson: Career High in Stolen Bases (28), Franchise Record for Consecutive Games with a Home Run (6.)

Wayne Garland: 20-7, 2.67 ERA

lee_may1-200x300.jpgOOOOO 3af928b1a212475dceb49a722d4dc4f2.jpgOOOOO palmer80.jpg

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

BOSTON RED SOX

Mookie Betts - CF

Dustin Pedroia - 2B

Xander Bogaerts - SS

David Ortiz - DH

Travis Shaw - 1B

Pablo Sandoval - 3B

Rusney Castillo - LF

Ryan Hanigan - C

Jackie Bradley, Jr. - RF

Joe Willie Kelly - RHP (10-6, 4.70 ERA)

BALTIMORE O RIOLES

Gerardo Parra - RF

Manny Machado - 3B

Chris Davis - 1B

Adam Jones - CF

Matthew Wieters - C

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Steve Clevenger - DH

James J. Hardy - SS

Steven Wayne Pearce - LF

Ubaldo Jimenez Garcia - RHP (11-9, 4.22 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

Ugh. A guy named Joe Willie going up against a Baltimore team. Don't like that at all.

(Also, he had an ERA of nearly 6 back in May and has steadily gotten better as the season progressed. Need a good outing from Ubaldo tonight).

I know this team in not making the playoffs of course. So I will be looking see how our young talent (Schoop, Gausman etc.) finishes the season looking into next year. As for the vets, some of them will be gone. I want to enjoy watching O'Day, I want to enjoy Crush's enormous power while we still have them (should they leave).

o

THE 1976 ORIOLES

Lee May: Leads American League in RBI's (109)

Jim Palmer: Cy Young Winner (22-13, 2.51 ERA, 23 Complete Games, 6 Shutouts)

Reggie Jackson: Career High in Stolen Bases (28), Franchise Record for Consecutive Games with a Home Run (6.)

Wayne Garland: 20-7, 2.67 ERA

lee_may1-200x300.jpgOOOOO 3af928b1a212475dceb49a722d4dc4f2.jpgOOOOO palmer80.jpg

I see JP has the same hair color as he did in '76. Good for him. :)

“It doesn’t bother me,” Ortiz said of the liberal accusations about Dominicans falsifying their dates of birth. “A lot of guys have used different identity.”

Even so, Ortiz also expresses sympathy for those players who do falsify their ages in hopes of pursuing a career in the majors. Ortiz considers himself fortunate, having come from a middle-class upbringing in the Dominican Republic, where he received a good educational grounding.

But he recognizes that the motivation for many of his countrymen in pursuing a major-league career is desperation.

“I don’t blame (the players),” said Ortiz. “If (2002 A.L. MVP Miguel Tejada, who last year admitted that he was born in 1974 rather than 1976) would have said what his age was at the time, they wouldn’t have signed him.

“You see kids coming out of the Dominican, they’re two, three years older, but they’ve got the skills to play the game – and they know they have the skills – but just because they’re two or three years older, they won’t get signed.

“They’re just trying to get out of their struggles, and that’s the only way. If you see what we go through, coming out of our country, how bad we struggle, and the only way that you can make it out was doing that – I’m not saying it’s right to do it, but if that’s the only way, what would you do? Would you prefer somebody becomes a drug dealer or that somebody changes his name to make it out?”

“It was just a matter of cleaning up the record,” said Smith. “He brought all the changes to us as far as his name and his birth date. We didn’t have any reason to suspect anything.”

The change in Ortiz’ listed birth date involved no formal documentation. When Ortiz told the Twins that his birth date was Nov. 18, they simply accepted the change at face value. There were no birth certificates presented, no documents verified by national immigration officials.

How old is he. What was he willing to do to not become a drug dealer?

Archived