CC Sabathia Checks Into Alcohol Rehab

TonySoprano

The man owned up to his problems and is addressing them and for that I give him a lot of credit to do so in such a public forum.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash">#Yankees</a> CC Sabathia has checked himself into an alcohol rehabilitation center, team announces in statement.</p>— Mike Mazzeo (@MazzESPN) <a href="

">October 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sabathia's statement: "Being an adult means being accountable. Being a baseball player means that others look up to you."</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sabathia: "I want my kids ? and others who may have become fans of mine? to know that I am not too big of a man to ask for help."</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's way down near the bottom of my list of baseball players I admire, but as a human, his stock shot way up with how he's tackling this head on. I wish him well.

The man owned up to his problems and is addressing them and for that I give him a lot of credit to do so in such a public forum.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash">#Yankees</a> CC Sabathia has checked himself into an alcohol rehabilitation center, team announces in statement.</p>— Mike Mazzeo (@MazzESPN) <a href="

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sabathia's statement: "Being an adult means being accountable. Being a baseball player means that others look up to you."</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sabathia: "I want my kids ? and others who may have become fans of mine? to know that I am not too big of a man to ask for help."</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/10/06/cc-sabathias-bad-weekend-in-baltimore-made-him-choose-rehab/

Speaking to an anonymous source close to Sabathia, the Post reports that the Yankees’ starter more or less went on a bender from Thursday into Friday and continued on to Saturday, which resulted in his Sunday afternoon phone call to Brian Cashman in which he said he needed help.

http://deadspin.com/report-wobbly-cc-sabathia-was-drinking-in-clubhouse-on-1735015322

After the Yankees’ game with the Baltimore Orioles was rained out on Friday afternoon, Sabathia was seen by reporters walking unsteadily as he left the Yankees’ clubhouse. The normally affable pitcher also failed to respond to the greetings of reporters who have known him for a long time.

A short time later, an onlooker noticed Sabathia offering a paper cup containing a brown liquid to a teammate who was finishing up a workout, urging the teammate to “take a sip.” The teammate refused, saying he still had some running to do. Sabathia was then ushered out of the building and into a waiting cab by a third teammate.

Firstly and most importantly - good luck to him, and let him make a full recovery.

But, how do you get yourself into a situation where you have to get help right before the playoffs? He must think it's life or death if he doesn't take care of it now. Otherwise, he or the Yankees can hire someone from AA to be with him 24/7.

How do you risk a life where you've made many millions of dollars pitching for the Yankees? Yes, alcoholism is a disease, but drinking all day on days he hasn't pitched?

Yes, alcoholism is a disease, but drinking all day on days he hasn't pitched?

Sounds like Ponson.

And sorry if this sounds harsh, but don't the Yanks now get to replace a guy who went 6-10, 4.73 on the postseason roster with someone who might actually be good? No chance the Yanks were going to otherwise leave their $23M/yr former ace at home, were they?

Archived