Britton's trade value

tntoriole

What are your thoughts about what Zach Britton would return in a trade given the recent Kimbrel deal for four Red Sox prospects, including 4,6, 13 in their system according to one ranking site?

I think he should return a greater value given Britton is first year arb eligible vs the 37.5/3 years left for Kimbrel. They are almost exactly the same age 27. While Kimbrel has been a number one closer in MLB, arguably Zach's last two seasons have been better.

Last two years Kimbrel WAR was 3.8 and Zach's was 5. Kimbrel WHIP last 2 years, .908 and 1.045, Zach was better at .904 and .990. BBs/9- Kimbrel has been 3.8 and 3.3 while Zach has been better at 2.7 and 1.9. ERA+? Kimbrel has been at 223 and 142 and Zach has been 240, 217. Kimbrel strikes out more hitters at 13.2 per 9 innings to Zach's 10.8. Zach has pitched in the AL, Kimbrel in the NL.

I think this is a peak time to trade him if we are going to, but the unlikely return of DOD makes this a real hit for the 2016 team.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britton is entering his second year of arbitration, he is a super 2.

There is a pretty good chance Britton is as expensive as Kimbrel for the 2017 season and if he continues to pitch at the level he has the last couple of years he should be setting records for a relief pitcher in arbitration by 2018.

Britton is entering his second year of arbitration, he is a super 2.

There is a pretty good chance Britton is as expensive as Kimbrel for the 2017 season and if he continues to pitch at the level he has the last couple of years he should be setting records for a relief pitcher in arbitration by 2018.

Kimbrel will be at 13.25 million in 2017. Is Zach going to cost that much? I hope not. Sorry about the error, forgot because he signed in first year arb without actually going to arbitration (Baseball Reference still has him listed as 1st year Arb eligible for 2016, but you are correct, he is a Super 2).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kimbrel will be at 13.25 million in 2017. Is Zach going to cost that much? I hope not. Sorry about the error, forgot because he signed in first year arb without actually going to arbitration (Baseball Reference still has him listed as 1st year Arb eligible for 2016, but you are correct, he is a Super 2).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim Johnson jumped from 2.6 to 6.5 to 10.

Britton was at 3.2 last year.

So maybe he is at 12 instead of 13.25 in 2017.

I think Britton is going to cost a pretty comparable amount over the next three years. (Of course his contracts will be year to year so less of a risk)

Archived