David Ortiz to retire following 2016 season

nickr4444

I'm sure he will get his retirement tour a la Cal, Jeter, etc... Thoughts on the gift the O's should give him? The shattered pieces of the phone he destroyed? A leather bound copy of the Mitchell Report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The New York Post article about his failed test?

The results were intended to remain anonymous, but federal agents investigating the BALCO doping ring seized the laboratory results, discovering the list upon which the Times report was based.

A week and a half after that report (Ortiz’s teammate, Manny Ramirez, was also identified), Ortiz said in a news conference that he was “a little bit careless back in those days” when buying over-the-counter supplements and vitamins — “but I never buy steroids or use steroids,” he sai

Ortiz belittles the baseball reporters who have questioned him about doping and whose votes may now determine his entry into Cooperstown.

“Hell yes I deserve to be in the Hall of Fame,

Either let them all in or keep him out. Bonds gets in Or Papi stays out.

Either let them all in or keep him out. Bonds gets in Or Papi stays out.

It'll be interesting to see what happens here. I assume Boston folks think he's going in, first ballot, nearly 100% votes. But then the PED thing has kept other similar players out. And he's a jerk to everyone outside of Boston. And his career fWAR is 46 with a peak of 6.3. Translation: his regular season career was worth less than Jim Rice or John Olerud, 20 wins less than Edgar Martinez, and he never had a year worth as much as 2013 Chris Davis. I'm all for DHs going to the Hall if they accumulate enough value, but it's just really hard when you have zero fielding value.

Checking out his bb-ref page, and I noticed.........

Today is his 40th birthday! Let's all wish our favorite destroyer of phones a happy big 4-0!

And may he OPS .550 over 550 PA in 2016.

Few things would make me more pleased than to see him go out on a very poor note. I'd love to see an unbenchable Ortiz on his retirement lap play totally like crap.

Archived