Gausman has another Option year.

weams

"I've kind of felt like that before, but obviously last year we had six guys for five spots and I was kind of the odd man out," said Gausman, who made 17 starts among his 25 appearances in 2015.

"This season, obviously I'm excited about that. I went into spring training last season and I really killed myself in the offseason to be ready to throw close to 180-185 innings and I started the year in the bullpen and that kind of pushed me back. And then I went on the DL, so it was kind of a frustrating year for me, but I'm obviously very excited, ready to get going.

"I actually found out that I have another option. That's something that I wasn't aware of. We'll see what happens and how that all pans out. But it's something I can't control. I've dealt with it before, so I'm used to it."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/11/gausman-excited-for-chance-to-stay-in-rotation-in-2016.html

Roch Kubatko www.masnsports.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles will take advantage like they did with Chen last year.

The Orioles attempt to be sly will cost them good will with their employee, potentially further hamper his development, and result in little to no immediate gain for the team.

I think this is more accurate.

The Orioles attempt to be sly will cost them good will with their employee, potentially further hamper his development, and result in little to no immediate gain for the team.

It sure is. Especially when it comes to Gausman and his development.

Yes the difference between him being an ace and a 5th starter is whether or not he is moved back to AAA once or twice for a week to alleviate pen fatigue.

Yes the difference between him being an ace and a 5th starter is whether or not he is moved back to AAA once or twice for a week to alleviate pen fatigue.

A trip to Norfolk can't happen twice a week unless there's an injury and the stay has to be for a minimum of ten days. (I think that's right, but I'm sure someone will correct it if not.) Depending on who it is, a guy's confidence could be adversely affected or at the very minimum his routine, hampering his development. It damaged the relationship between the team and Chen after they did it with him and gained them nothing. In fact, in terms of negotiating power, it probably cost quite a bit.

A trip to Norfolk can't happen twice a week unless there's an injury and the stay has to be for a minimum of ten days. (I think that's right, but I'm sure someone will correct it if not.) Depending on who it is, a guy's confidence could be adversely affected or at the very minimum his routine, hampering his development. It damaged the relationship between the team and Chen after they did it with him and gained them nothing. In fact, in terms of negotiating power, it probably cost quite a bit.

Negotiating power? What negotiating power? The guy is gone, and would be whether the Orioles made the smart roster move last year or not. Chen was going to net us a pick via the QO regardless. If anything, skipping a turn vs. Toronto helped Chen. Boras knows this, and failed his client by not making that clear to him, IMO.

I didn't say they were going to jerk him around. They skipped Chen last year to avoid the Jays and help with a roster crunch. They sent Norris down in 2014. Depending on how the rotation is around the all star break it is something they might take advantage of.

Negotiating power? What negotiating power? The guy is gone, and would be whether the Orioles made the smart roster move last year or not. Chen was going to net us a pick via the QO regardless. If anything, skipping a turn vs. Toronto helped Chen. Boras knows this, and failed his client by not making that clear to him, IMO.

You don't know what the outcome would have been vs Toronto. Could he have done any worse than Tillman did against them? It didn't help Chen. I don't believe Boras thinks any such thing and in a recent story it was noted that Chen had not forgotten about the incident. It also says he's sad to be leaving the only MLB team he's ever played for and the many friends he has on the team. If they wanted to negotiate with him they didn't earn any points by trying to manipulate the roster.

I'm not even in disagreement necessarily with the type of move, but the original point was made regarding Gausman who they've shuttled back and forth too often. In his case, I think it's been detrimental.

You don't know what the outcome would have been vs Toronto. Could he have done any worse than Tillman did against them? It didn't help Chen. I don't believe Boras thinks any such thing and in a recent story it was noted that Chen had not forgotten about the incident. It also says he's sad to be leaving the only MLB team he's ever played for and the many friends he has on the team. If they wanted to negotiate with him they didn't earn any points by trying to manipulate the roster.

I'm not even in disagreement necessarily with the type of move, but the original point was made regarding Gausman who they've shuttled back and forth too often. In his case, I think it's been detrimental.

Nothing else to say here. My post that you quoted clearly delineates my thinking on this, and to say that I disagree with your position that the roster flexibility option move last year was detrimental is an understatement.

Yeah, I think that we all (myself included) sometimes lose focus of the big picture.

When you think about it, it is kind of ludicrous to think that a man with Scott Boras as his agent would have stayed with one team (the Orioles) for $5 or $6 Million less per year than he is being offered by another team(s) if they had not "dissed" him by sending him down to the minors for one start for roster purposes ...... "Me and Scott were going to give you guys a big hometown discount in my free agent year, but after you made that insulting move back in June, you can forget it."

Nothing else to say here. My post that you quoted clearly delineates my thinking on this, and to say that I disagree with your position that the roster flexibility option move last year was detrimental is an understatement.

Nothing else to say? Aw, don't take your ball and go home. You never really addressed Gausman and his development. Or, how a move like this is fine for a MOR guy or even in the right circumstances, but with Gausman there's been a questionable history of how they've handled him.

The understanding this year with most people is that he's locking down one of the spots in the rotation. With the questionable way they've handled him, don't you think using an option simply to manipulate the roster is being the least short-sighted when it comes to a guy many in the organization see as a future TOR?

Nothing else to say? Aw, don't take your ball and go home. You never really addressed Gausman and his development. Or, how a move like this is fine for a MOR guy or even in the right circumstances, but with Gausman there's been a questionable history of how they've handled him.

The understanding this year with most people is that he's locking down one of the spots in the rotation. With the questionable way they've handled him, don't you think using an option simply to manipulate the roster is being the least short-sighted when it comes to a guy many in the organization see as a future TOR?

The ludicrous statement that you made regarding Chen was what was being disussed. I understand that you are now somehow trying to deflect that obvious fact, but nonetheless the Chen move was in no way whatsoewver detrimental. Whether you attempt to mention Gausman, Cal Ripken, or Babe Ruth is, of course totally and completely irrelevant.

The ludicrous statement that you made regarding Chen was what was being disussed. I understand that you are now somehow trying to deflect that obvious fact, but nonetheless the Chen move was in no way whatsoewver detrimental. Whether you attempt to mention Gausman, Cal Ripken, or Babe Ruth is, of course totally and completely irrelevant.

Wow, now the statement is ludicrous. We can't just disagree o wise one? Lol, bite me.

And now you're deflecting the question about Gausman which was what commented on by two posters to both of whom I responded. The thread btw, is about Gausman having an option, not what happened to Chen last year. It's been fun, though, you must say that.

Archived