Pedro Alvarez?

MurphDogg

Pirates are looking to trade him and Jon Heyman speculates that the Orioles could be a good landing spot for him. Assuming that we wouldn't give up much, would anyone be interested in Alvarez as a stop-gap DH making a little under $7M for a year. Heyman is a Boras mouthpiece and Alvarez is a Boras client, so I wonder if there could be anything to Heyman's speculation. His WAR has been unimpressive over the last couple years but it is dragged down by his terrible defense at first and third base. He has 30 HR power, had a 114 OPS+ 3 of the last 4 years, an ISO over .200, and a wRC+ of between 112 and 114 three of the last four years and he would be going into his free agent season, so he would have all the motivation in the world.

From BD Dugout:

Woobie: Assuming he is gone, how should Pedro Alvarez?s career as a Pirate be remembered? Massive disappointment? Mild disappointment? Something else?

Mild disappointment. No. 2 overall draft picks typically produce about 10 WAR in their first six seasons. Alvarez has 6.1 career fWAR, which is worse, but not by orders of magnitude or anything. Alvarez has, of course, been much worse than fans' expectations, but those probably weren't fair. As the first draft pick of the Neal Huntington era, Alvarez looked like a very exciting talent, especially since his greatest attribute (off-the-charts power) was easy for fans to appreciate. In retrospect, we should have expected him to have trouble hitting for contact -- those problems were obvious even during his minor league career. He hasn't become a star, or really anything close, but he was useful until his defense fell off a cliff. He's also currently 13th on the Pirates' all-time home run list, and he's hit any number of memorable light-tower shots. That's something.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2015/11/23/9783640/ask-bd-pedro-alvarezs-legacy-with-the-pirates

Pirates are looking to trade him and Jon Heyman speculates that the Orioles could be a good landing spot for him. Assuming that we wouldn't give up much, would anyone be interested in Alvarez as a stop-gap DH making a little under $7M for a year. Heyman is a Boras mouthpiece and Alvarez is a Boras client, so I wonder if there could be anything to Heyman's speculation. His WAR has been unimpressive over the last couple years but it is dragged down by his terrible defense at first and third base. He has 30 HR power, had a 114 OPS+ 3 of the last 4 years, an ISO over .200, and a wRC+ of between 112 and 114 three of the last four years and he would be going into his free agent season, so he would have all the motivation in the world.

I have been saying for a while that I think Alvarez is a good fit for the O's at DH. I think the O's wait to see if he is non tendered. I don't think the O's want to go through arbitration with him. If he gets non tendered I could see the O's offering 3/20m for him.

I think there is probably a better chance the O's get Pedro Alvarez then that they sign Chris Davis.

I have been saying for a while that I think Alvarez is a good fit for the O's at DH. I think the O's wait to see if he is non tendered. I don't think the O's want to go through arbitration with him. If he gets non tendered I could see the O's offering 3/20m for him.

I think there is probably a better chance the O's get Pedro Alvarez then that they sign Chris Davis.

3/20 M? No way.

I wouldn't mind Alvarez, provided that he's strictly the DH against RHP and nothing more. He doesn't seem to fit the mold of versatility and good defense that Buck likes to have, though.

IMO which is worth very little. Alvarez could get 475 ab as just a DH vs righthander. His history say he could get 30 homers and about 80 RBI in that period. The O's have several guys that could hit lefties to platoon himwith including Wieters, Reimold, or Dariel Alvarez.

IMO which is worth very little. Alvarez could get 475 ab as just a DH vs righthander. His history say he could get 30 homers and about 80 RBI in that period. The O's have several guys that could hit lefties to platoon himwith including Wieters, Reimold, or Dariel Alvarez.

I agree he's worth very little as strictly a DH. That's why I'm guessing we're really not that interested.

He's not worth it. Platoon DH, no glove, with poor OBP. Not committing to him for 3 years.

Pedro's OBP vs righthanded pitching is not that bad.

2015 - 240/322/477/799

Last 3 years - 245/320/487/807

Yes he is a platoon player with no glove. But as a DH he is a middle of the order batter against 3/4 of the pitchers that O's will face.

I don't think any team wants to go to arbitration with him because that are afraid he get 8-10m. But if he is non tendered then he is a free agent middle of the order bat and several AL teams may be interested which makes me think that a three year contract maybe needed.

I think of him as a platoon Kendrys Morales.

Kendrys Morales 1b-dh

2 years/$17M (2015-16), plus 2017 option

2 years/$17M (2015-16), plus 2017 mutual option

signed by Kansas City as a free agent 12/11/14

15:$6.5M, 16:$9M, 17:$11M mutual option ($1.5M buyout)

annual performance bonuses: $50,000 for 375 plate appearances. $0.1M each for 400, 425, 450, 475, 500, 525, 550 PA

award bonuses, including $50,000 for All Star

From Cots Contracts

If he is a likely non-tender at 1/$8million, why would a team offer 3/$20 million. Sorry, I don't see that.

If he is a likely non-tender at 1/$8million, why would a team offer 3/$20 million. Sorry, I don't see that.

If we do go after Alvarez, I wonder if we could do a "Cruz" on him and offer a 1/5 type of deal with incentives? Let him establish his value as a DH and get him to do it cheaply.

He may be non tendered because the Pirates don't want to pay him 8-10m in arbitration. No DH in the NL.

He may be 3 years and 6 to 7m per year because he is a middle of the order bat 3/4 of the time. He is more valuable in the AL with the DH. See my post of Kendrys Morales above.

He may be non tendered because the Pirates don't want to be pay him 8-10m in arbitration. No DH in the NL.

He may be 3 years and 6 to 7m per year because he is a middle of the order bat 3/4 of the time. He is more valuable in the AL with the DH. See my post of Kendrys Morales above.

You do realize that you are basically saying that you think the Pirates don't have sense enough to trade him, if he carries that amount of value, don't you? I think it is more likely that MLB teams don't value him that highly. Anything can happen, but I'm not seeing him getting that type of contract now. More likely a one year deal in hopes that he can make good and earn more next off-season.

You do realize that you are basically saying that you think the Pirates don't have sense enough to trade him, if he carries that amount of value, don't you? I think it is more likely that MLB teams don't value him that highly. Anything can happen, but I'm not seeing him getting that type of contract now. More likely a one year deal in hopes that he can make good and earn more next off-season.

Heyman article says the Pirates are trying to trade him . I believe that. No team is probably giving them very much because they know the Pirates don't want his defense on the field and the Pirates can't DH him. Teams probably don't want to pay 8-10m per year for him in arbitration.

However once he is non tendered he becomes a free agent and Boras is going to look at him like he looked a Morales last year. Boras will squeeze out every nickel.

Archived