Question about FO intell on FA bids.

El Gordo

Recently DD said they had info that Wieters had several substantial offers out there that he turned down for the QO. This leads me to wonder to what extent they have intelligence on what other teams are bidding for on FA they are interested in, and how they might acquire it. Anybody know about this?

They probably are reading all of the national sites that quote people with sources. It's either true or manufactured. I read a few days before he accepted the Orioles QO that the Rangers were reportedly offering him a 3 year $40 million dollar contract. If that's true he made a big mistake taking the QO.

They probably are reading all of the national sites that quote people with sources. It's either true or manufactured. I read a few days before he accepted the Orioles QO that the Rangers were reportedly offering him a 3 year $40 million dollar contract. If that's true he made a big mistake taking the QO.

You think it was a big mistake to think he won't get at least a 2/24 offer next year with no pick attached? If he receives another QO and accepts then he'll have made over $30 MM in two years and would need something like a 1/$9 MM in 2017 to break even. Maybe it turns out poorly, but financially I get why he'd accept a QO this year. If that pick is attached and you are outside of the "elite" tier, you're paying for it in your contract.

Of course "assuming the Rangers offer is legit."

Query whether an agent would float that rumor to DD in order to try and get him to extend the "reasonable" offer of 3/$45 MM to Matt...

You think it was a big mistake to think he won't get at least a 2/24 offer next year with no pick attached? If he receives another QO and accepts then he'll have made over $30 MM in two years and would need something like a 1/$9 MM in 2017 to break even. Maybe it turns out poorly, but financially I get why he'd accept a QO this year. If that pick is attached and you are outside of the "elite" tier, you're paying for it in your contract.

Of course "assuming the Rangers offer is legit."

I do too. And I would give it to him again and see if he blinks.

I think Matt and Boras were looking for a 5/85m offer. And will be next year also. This year's contract is a pillow contract to allow him to have a healthy year and get top dollar.

As far as intel, maybe Matt shared his offers with Dan, Buck or one of his teammates after he accepted the QO.

I think Matt and Boras were looking for a 5/85m offer. And will be next year also. This year's contract is a pillow contract to allow him to have a healthy year and get top dollar.

As far as intel, maybe Matt shared his offers with Dan, Buck or one of his teammates after he accepted the QO.

It wouldn't be after because Dan said he was surprised based on what his info was.

Archived