Toronto Signs J.A. Happ

25 Nuggets

J.A. Happ Returns to the Blue Jays for 3 yr, $36 million

Feel free to move this after the initial reactions.

Happ now sets the market for pitching I suppose, and of course it's a huge overpay for a guy who was a back-end pitcher for Toronto before. Maybe they're trying to play money games with other teams, but otherwise I don't get it. Maybe time in Pittsburgh just makes pitchers better.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happ now sets the market for pitching I suppose, and of course it's a huge overpay for a guy who was a back-end pitcher for Toronto before. Maybe they're trying to play money games with other teams, but otherwise I don't get it. Maybe time in Pittsburgh just makes pitchers better.

I'm sure there are posters who figure out the cost of wins but dang if free agent prices aren't getting ridiculous.

This would be a great time to have a little better farm system, not that there's a bad time for affordable talent though. Part of me doesn't want the Orioles paying these crappy contracts but they are short on talent right now, and they need to make a decision on which direction they are going in.

I don't know enough about the reasoning behind the signing to have a strong opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FA "value" of the deal ends up requiring around 4-4.5 wins of production over three years to be "worth it." So, my gut is less "this is Toronoto being stupid" and more "holy cow inflation is going to end-up bailing out a lot of contracts I thought were questionable when doled out."

I don't know enough about the reasoning behind the signing to have a strong opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FA "value" of the deal ends up requiring around 4-4.5 wins of production over three years to be "worth it." So, my gut is less "this is Toronoto being stupid" and more "holy cow inflation is going to end-up bailing out a lot of contracts I thought were questionable when doled out."

There are a lot of good guys out there. To overpay at the beginning seems like checking off a box. And realizing that the last guys emptied the cupboards.

There are a lot of good guys out there. To overpay at the beginning seems like checking off a box. And realizing that the last guys emptied the cupboards.

Or, if you are planning on making other moves you need to lock in a replacement piece at the outset in case there is a run on the market. But, yeah, I agree I don't see a clear logic. Knowing how Shapiro operates, that's why I'd be very curious to see what analysis pointed them in this direction.

Rich Baxter

If you call throwing away $36M on a pitcher you guys in Toronto were more than happy to give away for practically nothing back in 2012, I'd love to hear what you call a bargain.

Happ is well known in the AL, the hitters probably can't wait.

Or, if you are planning on making other moves you need to lock in a replacement piece at the outset in case there is a run on the market. But, yeah, I agree I don't see a clear logic. Knowing how Shapiro operates, that's why I'd be very curious to see what analysis pointed them in this direction.

Gambling on the Searage effect. That's all.

And I agree. It was slamming the door shut on starting pitching and saying, "Ok, lets fill in the other small spots and we are ready to go."

Archived