2016 Toronto Blue Jays

OFFNY

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The Man that Rogers Chose.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-president-mark-shapiro-more-concerned-with-winning-than-being-well-liked

When he came up from the minors, Mike and his wife Lisa didn’t have any money, so for the ’83 season they slept on the pullout couch in our family room,” he recalls. “Typical of my dad, my dad said, ‘Stay with us.’ Mike had a brilliant baseball mind and was an incredibly down-to-earth person. So I would talk baseball with this guy every day.

“Not only is he generous with his time, but he goes on to pitch really well and become the MVP of the ALCS against the White Sox that year. And I’m 15 years old, and I’m like, ‘This guy is sleeping in my house!’ You can talk about the Hall of Famers like Cal and Eddie Murray, but a guy like that, who talked baseball with me forever, that was incredible.”

That the Boddickers were houseguests at all is a humble tribute to his father’s character, Shapiro says. Ron Shapiro found enormous success as an agent, negotiations expert and best-selling author, but has always volunteered his time and leadership to an array of charitable organizations. From parking-garage attendants to civic bosses, he treats everyone with respect and kindness, his son says.

“My dad has imprinted my life in a huge way, but the largest way is probably how you treat people, how you value people,” he says. “That’s been part of my leadership style. You got to have a clear sense of values to the person you are, and the person you are is the leader you are.”

That, judging from the immediate avalanche of outrage on talk radio and social media, was the ultimate insult. Paul Beeston all but promised natural grass in the Rogers Centre by 2018, didn’t he? Maybe the Blue Jays can’t win their division every year, but their fans – the loudest ones anyway – were damn well counting on real grass. Now they’re tagging their tweets with #FireShapiro.

Wonder what Duquette would have done. Or if it would even be his call.

• 2 weeks later...

o

Canadians for the Canadiens.

Blue Jays’ Canadian Outfielders Anxious to Till Void Created by Revere Trade

(By: Richard Griffin)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2016/01/09/blue-jays-canadian-outfielders-anxious-to-fill-void-created-by-revere-trade-griffin.html

Michael Saunders returns from injury, and Dalton Pompey gets another chance to stick in the Majors with the Blue Jays’ left-field job open.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/blue-jays-notes-price-donaldson-bautista-floyd.html

MLBTR notes on the Shapiro interview with Jim Bowden on MLB Radio.

He had some interesting things to say on why they didn't (couldn't afford) to keep Price.

He also hadn't they had ZERO SP at AAA, and needed to fill those, in addition to 2 roster spots on the parent club.

• 2 weeks later...

"I didn't want to waste their time or their effort, so they can start planning ahead, and if it's not going to happen, they have plenty of time to [respond]. They asked me about two weeks ago, and I told them, that's it. There's no negotiation, I told them what I wanted. They either meet it, or it is what it is."

"I didn't want to waste their time or their effort, so they can start planning ahead, and if it's not going to happen, they have plenty of time to [respond]. They asked me about two weeks ago, and I told them, that's it. There's no negotiation, I told them what I wanted. They either meet it, or it is what it is."
He's almost 40. They'll keep him around just like the Sawx kept papi around.

They can add in some steroids to the deal to entice him. :D

Archived