Tyler Wilson Hopes To Be Part Of Orioles' 2016 Plans

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'll have to improve on his 3.2 K/9 if he wants to be a part of the Orioles in 2016.

Yes, I think that is clear enough. Still, it's interesting that even with that low K rate, his FIP wasn't significantly higher than his ERA (3.77 to 3.50). Also interesting that his K rate at Norfolk slipped from 8.5 to 6.0 from 2014 to 2015, but his ERA actually dropped a bit. I think Wilson is destined for Norfolk again, but could be the first guy called up if a starter goes down.

"There's definitely routine-wise leaps and bounds differences. Not really knowing when you're going to pitch or what inning you're going to pitch, but it forces you to be focused and locked down on everything that's going on and watching how each hitter has been pitched to the six innings previous to your turn coming in, rather than actually being the one delivering pitches."

Roch Kubatko masnsports.com

As it stands now, if Wright or Wilson is the next man up for this rotation,it doesn't speak well of our rotation.

I am not worried about our #5 spot. Wright and Wilson would be fine as #5's. Maybe even #4's. For the money they are making, they could be good contributors. I am more worried that our guys at the top are Tillman and Ubaldo. Our "aces" are league average or maybe worse than that.

He'll have to improve on his 3.2 K/9 if he wants to be a part of the Orioles in 2016.

Don't be fooled by K's. He's a sinker baller, that pitches to contact. Gaussian throws K's and the ball goes over the fence. Sexy to some I suppose.

Don't be fooled by K's. He's a sinker baller, that pitches to contact. Gaussian throws K's and the ball goes over the fence. Sexy to some I suppose.

Even still I doubt there have been many successful pitchers of any style who could make it at 3 K/9. If he can get it up to 5 K/9 he'll find a role.

Here's a comprehensive list of pitchers since 2000 who a) threw at least 500 innings in their careers, and b) had a K rate below 4.00: Kirk Reuter, Jimmy Anderson, Aaron Cook. The other 422 pitchers with 500+ innings since 2000 all had higher K rates than 4.00. "Effective in the major leagues" is sexy to me.

Archived