Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

One to compete, two to win, three to dominate.

Kevin has shown two outstanding pitches but the third has been a work in progress. In this interview on 1057 The Fan's "Hot Stove" he expresses how his curve improved over last year and believes with a good spring it can be a different making pitch for him.

Music to my ears, and food for my soul as a Oriole fan.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/01/21/orioles-pitcher-kevin-gausman-joins-orioles-hot-stove/

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One to compete, two to win, three to dominate.

Kevin has shown two outstanding pitches but the third has been a work in progress. In this interview on 1057 The Fan's "Hot Stove" he expresses how his curve improved over last year and believes with a good spring it can be a different making pitch for him.

Music to my ears, and food for my soul as a Oriole fan.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/01/21/orioles-pitcher-kevin-gausman-joins-orioles-hot-stove/

Thanks for the link. Excellent discussion. Kevin is a very intelligent young man who appears very dedicated to his craft. Stay healthy and great things are likely for him (and for us Os fans!!).

Roch is smoking dope again. In today's blog he tries to say that Gausman's threw of a lot more curveballs in his last outing against the "potent" Blue Jays was an indication of something. It was not.

Here is what Roch wrote in his blog:

In his final start of the 2015 season, Orioles right-hander Kevin Gausman worked a career-high eight innings and struck out a career-high 10 batters while holding the potent Blue Jays lineup to one run. He threw 98 pitches and was denied a chance to produce the club's only complete game of the summer.

Talk about leaving on a high note.

In his previous start in Boston, Gausman threw 99 pitches over five innings in a 7-0 loss to the Red Sox.

One glaring difference in the outings beyond the box score was Gausman's heavier reliance on his curveball

Gausman last outing was on September 30th and the Blue Jays had already cliched. Here is the lineup they put on the field.

Dalton Pompey CF

Cliff Pennington LF

Ezequiel Carrera RF

Chris Colabello DH

Matt Hague 1B

Josh Thole C

Munenori Kawasaki 3B

Jonathan Diaz SS

Not exactly "potent".

Roch is smoking dope again. In today's blog he tries to say that Gausman's threw of a lot more curveballs in his last outing against the "potent" Blue Jays was an indication of something. It was not.

Gausman last outing was on September 30th and the Blue Jays had already cliched. Here is the lineup they put on the field.

Dalton Pompey CF

Cliff Pennington LF

Ezequiel Carrera RF

Chris Colabello DH

Matt Hague 1B

Josh Thole C

Munenori Kawasaki 3B

Jonathan Diaz SS

Not exactly "potent".

BUT, if they used aluminum bats and tennis balls...

Time will tell on the curve - no data to look at - I love his arm and potential. I believe...

Dalton Pompey CF

Cliff Pennington LF

Ezequiel Carrera RF

Chris Colabello DH

Matt Hague 1B

Josh Thole C

Munenori Kawasaki 3B

Jonathan Diaz SS

Not exactly "potent".

Excellent point. We saw a lot of weak lineups during our six-game winning streak to close the season.

• 1 month later...

Dalton Pompey CF

Cliff Pennington LF

Ezequiel Carrera RF

Chris Colabello DH

Matt Hague 1B

Josh Thole C

Munenori Kawasaki 3B

Jonathan Diaz SS

Not exactly "potent".

"Potent Blue Jays lineup" is sorta like boilerplate: you just plug that in there whenever you talk about them, regardless of the actual lineup.

I don't recall hearing that before.

The cutter yes, not the split.

Anyway Gausman has a pair of changeups he uses, one of which is a split.

Good Article about the cutter and DD banning it.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2012/08/dan-duquette-on-the-os-pitching-philosophy-we-dont-like-the-cutter.html

Its 4 years old, but DD hasn't changed his mind.

Archived