Steve Phillips On Chris Davis Negotiations: 'The Process Was Painfully Ugly'

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duquette is on record as saying one of his primary goals this offseason was to acquire a TOR-type pitcher, a #1, #2 or #3. If he doesn't manage to pull that off in the coming weeks, the offseason will be a failure, regardless that we kept Davis...

While I think many of our posters would agree with much of what Phillips has to say here, in this case, I just can't take the messenger very seriously.

The trouble with writers, I firmly believe that if the Orioles hadn't signed Davis.

You would see something like, "Owner doesn't appreciate and respect his players and this shows they no desire to win."

Duquette is on record as saying one of his primary goals this offseason was to acquire a TOR-type pitcher, a #1, #2 or #3. If he doesn't manage to pull that off in the coming weeks, the offseason will be a failure, regardless that we kept Davis...

DD also said, he wasn't going to overspend for an arm.

Salaries for SP, has gone crazy.

Would you have spent 90 million for Chen and 5 years?

Yes. Or Kazmir for 4 years.

However, Phillips assumption seems to be that the Davis money could have been spent on pitching and/or other players. Some OH folks have been saying the money was approved for Davis and Davis only. If that is true, then to a great extent the finger should be pointed at Angelos rather than DD for not making the full budget available to his GM/VP.

I would also say that the O'Day signing was bizarre in view of the team's real needs, and I agree that the Orioles bid against themselves both with the original $150M deal and the increase to $160 (although I understand the deal is arguably worth the same because of the deferred money).

While I think many of our posters would agree with much of what Phillips has to say here, in this case, I just can't take the messenger very seriously.

I agree with this. Phillips is Phillips, but his points are valid and pretty obvious. One thing Davis is missing, however, is that is it very unlikely that the Davis money would have been invested in FA pitching if he did not sign with the O's. As an O's fan, I think it's best to chalk Davis up to Angelos and emotionally move on. DD is now back to looking for bargain basement pitching, which was what he would be doing even if Davis was not signed.

DD also said, he wasn't going to overspend for an arm.

Salaries for SP, has gone crazy.

If the market is crazy, and you pay crazy, than you are not overspending.

I think you spend where you think you can get the most wins for your dollar. If the price of pitching has gotten disproportionate to the price of hitters to the point where it's not rational, then you spend on hitting. (I'm not necessarily saying that is the case here, I'm just talking about in theory.)

For me, if we are not willing to pay free agent prices for good pitchers, then we have traded away too much pitching talent over the last several years. I'd be pretty happy with our staff right now if we had Rodriguez and Davis in the fold, to say nothing of the others we've traded away.

Yes. Or Kazmir for 4 years.

However, Phillips assumption seems to be that the Davis money could have been spent on pitching and/or other players. Some OH folks have been saying the money was approved for Davis and Davis only. If that is true, then to a great extent the finger should be pointed at Angelos rather than DD for not making the full budget available to his GM/VP.

I would also say that the O'Day signing was bizarre in view of the team's real needs, and I agree that the Orioles bid against themselves both with the original $150M deal and the increase to $160 (although I understand the deal is arguably worth the same because of the deferred money).

Totally agree. The Davis signing was Angelos, not DD and that money, IMO, would not have been invested in FA pitching (at least not long-term contracts that the good to elite pitchers are getting).

I think the O'Day signing was an attempt to keep the bullpen very strong and retain a clubhouse leader. We will see how far chemistry can carry the team. Not a move I would have made, but if DD really knew he was unlikely to get a significant starter then maybe he and Buck see this as one way to win a few more games.

Of course not.

I also wouldn't have traded all those young pitchers and draft picks the last few years.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. I don't have a problem with contracts that were not given this offseason. But unfortunately, their trades have made a bed of non-depth that we will now have to lie in...

I think you spend where you think you can get the most wins for your dollar. If the price of pitching has gotten disproportionate to the price of hitters to the point where it's not rational, then you spend on hitting. (I'm not necessarily saying that is the case here, I'm just talking about in theory.)

For me, if we are not willing to pay free agent prices for good pitchers, then we have traded away too much pitching talent over the last several years. I'd be pretty happy with our staff right now if we had Rodriguez and Davis in the fold, to say nothing of the others we've traded away.

I dont disagree, and I think they showed with Ubaldo they do take some risks with SP.

But, the Fisters, Latos, Leakes and even Kazmir, are pretty much inning eaters, that lose as much as they win.

I think DD's marching orders have been to win as much as possible within the organization's limits. That's the only thing that makes those trades digestible IMO. That or DD intended this job to get him back to the ML's and wanted to win now. If that was his plan, then the contract extension with the O's is indeed a golden handcuff.

Archived