Why I don't trust Colorado OPS+ stats

Frobby

Theoretically, OPS+ adjusts for ballpark, but here is why I don't trust the OPS+ stats for the Colorado Rockies:

In 2013, the Rockies' OPS was 136 points higher at home than on the road, but their opponents' OPS was actually 6 points lower in Colorado than when the Rockies were the visiting team.

In 2014, the Rockies' spread was +266, but the opponents' spread was +26.

In 2015, the Rockies' spread was + 189, but the opponents' spread was +90.

So, in each case, playing in Colorado benefitted the Rockies' hitters much more than it benefitted the opposing team's hitters. And since (I believe) OPS+ is derived from looking at the overall stats in each park without distinguishing the home team from the road team, I think it underestimates the beneficial effect of playing in Coors Field for the Rockies' hitters.

If someone thinks I'm wrong about this, please weigh in.

Theoretically, OPS+ adjusts for ballpark, but here is why I don't trust the OPS+ stats for the Colorado Rockies:

In 2013, the Rockies' OPS was 136 points higher at home than on the road, but their opponents' OPS was actually 6 points lower in Colorado than when the Rockies were the visiting team.

So, in each case, playing in Colorado benefitted the Rockies' hitters much more than it benefitted the opposing team's hitters. And since (I believe) OPS+ is derived from looking at the overall stats in each park without distinguishing the home team from the road team, I think it underestimates the beneficial effect of playing in Coors Field for the Rockies' hitters.

I don't think you're wrong. The Rockies play consecutive series at Coors which cuts down on the number of "adjustment games" they are faced with when flipping between Coors/non-Coors. Each series they are essentially facing pitchers/hitters that are coming off of a series where the ball was behaving differently. My understanding is this goes a long way towards explaining your observations.

I mentioned in some other thread in the last few weeks that I think it's typical for a Rockie player to adjust to playing at altitude which negatively impacts their road numbers. When a Vinny Castilla or a Andres Galarraga leaves Colorado they don't typically have their Colorado road numbers, they hit better than that. I think there is definitely something to adjusting to playing at altitude that negatively impacts playing closer to sea level, but that goes away once you're no longer regularly playing in Denver.

Archived