What will the issues be in the new CBA (current agreement expires on 12/1)?

Frobby

There has been remarkably little reporting on what the issues might be when the owners and players negotiate the next CBA. That suggests to me that a deal is highly likely, and any changes will just be fine-tuning.

As I've watched this offseason play out, I think the players are going to push to change the formula for making a QO, to push the amount higher. There are too many solid but not great ballplayers who are finding their markets severely retarded by receiving a QO. A guy like Gallardo or Desmond would have been signed a long time ago if not for the draft pick attached. I doubt the players can get the QO system abolished, but if that $15.8 mm figure was $20 mm, you wouldn't see teams extending the QO quite so freely. So, I think the players will push hard on that.

I also think we'll see some pressure on the league minimum salaries.

As I've mentioned before, I'd love to see some raises in minor league salaries, but I doubt the MLBPA cares about that.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally compensation for free agents should be done away with, IMO. I know that won't happen. I know there's little sympathy for millionaires, but it sucks for guys like Desmond, Fowler, and Gallardo. And it's also bad for teams to be hesitant on bidding on those guys.

However, despite that, I do like this structure way better than the previous one. When the Orioles were coming off a terrible season in 2011, they had the number 4 overall pick. They didn't pick again until 65. There was basically a whole round of picks between the first and second round. Bad teams who had no FAs of consequence were punished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been remarkably little reporting on what the issues might be when the owners and players negotiate the next CBA. That suggests to me that a deal is highly likely, and any changes will just be fine-tuning.

As I've watched this offseason play out, I think the players are going to push to change the formula for making a QO, to push the amount higher. There are too many solid but not great ballplayers who are finding their markets severely retarded by receiving a QO. A guy like Gallardo or Desmond would have been signed a long time ago if not for the draft pick attached. I doubt the players can get the QO system abolished, but if that $15.8 mm figure was $20 mm, you wouldn't see teams extending the QO quite so freely. So, I think the players will push hard on that.

As I've mentioned before, I'd love to see some raises in minor league salaries, but I doubt the MLBPA cares about that.

The QO goes up every year do to the increase in the top 125 contracts. This is a trend I do not see slowing and I also see it reaching the $20 Million threshold by 2020. It is the loss of the pick for teams that sign these players that is the detriment to the QO.

They may simply extend the exempted teams for the first round out to all teams that did not qualify for the playoffs. Just an opinion of mine, not documented.

The QO goes up every year do to the increase in the top 125 contracts. This is a trend I do not see slowing and I also see it reaching the $20 Million threshold by 2020. It is the loss of the pick for teams that sign these players that is the detriment to the QO.

They may simply extend the exempted teams for the first round out to all teams that did not qualify for the playoffs. Just an opinion of mine, not documented.

Actually did find this article that addresses some points about the "QO"

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25465081/five-ways-mlb-mlbpa-can-improve-qualifying-offer-system-in-next-cba

This offseason, a lot of people thought it would go over $16M but didn't, coming in at $15.8M. Not too many awful contracts expIred this year so this offseason saw an uptick in high salaries. I expect next year to go up substantially, most likely by a $1M, maybe more. There is a weak free agent class so I think the number will be pretty steady in 2017 from 2016. Heck, it might even be steady again in 2018. But the 2018-2019 offseason will see multiple record shattering contracts so I expect to see a large climb in the 2019 QO.

Actually did find this article that addresses some points about the "QO"

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...em-in-next-cba

From the CBS article:

Top 25 Salaries: $23.5 million

Top 50 Salaries: $20.6 million

Top 75 Salaries: $18.3 million

Top 100 Salaries: $16.8 million

I think if the standard was moved from the average of the top 125 salaries to the average of the top 75, you'd see a lot fewer QO's. The number would start higher but would stil go up each years.

From the CBS article:

Top 25 Salaries: $23.5 million

Top 50 Salaries: $20.6 million

Top 75 Salaries: $18.3 million

Top 100 Salaries: $16.8 million

I think if the standard was moved from the average of the top 125 salaries to the average of the top 75, you'd see a lot fewer QO's. The number would start higher but would stil go up each years.

With current numbers, I have calculated the 2016 QO at $16.5M. If we go by lowering amounts by 25 players we get $18M, $19.7M, $21.9m, and $24.7M.

They should remove the loss of a pick. You make a QO, the player has an option to accept or reject, then the team gets a Comp pick if they sign elsewhere, but the signing team does not forfeit a pick.

1) Maintaining the QO allows the league to identify the players that should receive compensation.

2) The high one year salary prevents teams from offering it to too many players.

3) The market for those players is no longer depreciated.

They should remove the loss of a pick. You make a QO, the player has an option to accept or reject, then the team gets a Comp pick if they sign elsewhere, but the signing team does not forfeit a pick.

1) Maintaining the QO allows the league to identify the players that should receive compensation.

2) The high one year salary prevents teams from offering it to too many players.

You think the owners like this? They are one half of the collective.

Small revenue clubs might not like that -- they want the big fish to feel it when they sign their Machados and Fernandezes away from them.

Archived